Interesting read - Laserstacker

https://hcie.csail.mit.edu/research/laserstacker/laserstacker.html

Anyone tried something like this before?

1 Like

Yes sir. Often.

Edit: Hmmm maybe not in this manner (as I just reread the detail in that method). It seems overly complicated when the same results can be accomplished in other ways.

1 Like

@sensor Here is another interesting video that involves bending of the acrylic With a motor device as seen below and without

cheers

Sas

1 Like

@Stroonzo You even used it often? Hard to do?

@Sasquatch very interesting video… too much to learn and experiment with :wink: too little time for all I want.

In no way do I ever apply this method shown on the link. When I first responded, I had looked over the link and the contents and thought it was basic and standard stacking of layers.

I do not believe there is any reason to attempt this process shown outside of the experiment to see if it can be done.

Weld-On / SciGrip bonds are far better than the resulting tests shown in the videos.

I find the connection of the two “blades” which allow movement very intriguing. I do agree binding is way easier.

Cheers

Sas

Ah special glue for Acrylic… hmm the one I tried made cracks in the acrylic.
Going to see if I can get some Weld-On - Scigrip here…

@sensor do you know about this?:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Why-You-Dont-Clean-Acrylic-With-Alcohol-Methyl-Eth/

Cheers

Sasquatch

Hey Sas…

Thank you for the link! :slight_smile:
I do know that… the glue that I used was: Acryfix. https://eshop.dencop.cz/en/glue-acrifix-192-tube-100-g-light-hardened
I was less then impressed by it.

So I am going to find the ones mentioned here.

If you ever need a reliable solvent to clean acrylic without risk of crazing (like stuck paper), I’ve never had issues with Speedball’s Bestine:

2 Likes

@Stroonzo Thank you for the tip!

I CANNOT believe he just handled Methanol with his bare hands! So bad!

He does not seem like the SAFETY FIRST kindda guy… :rofl:

Even his screen name indicates that… :rofl:

Yup not the sharpest tool in the shed… nevertheless the video was very informative especially on what NOT to do.

Cheers

Sasquatch

reference: Estimations of the lethal and exposure doses for representative methanol symptoms in humans - PMC

*Methanol can be easily absorbed during exposure through respiration, skin, and the gastrointestinal tract. *

In human metabolism of methanol, given its physical and chemical properties, high skin absorption is expected. Methanol penetration is predicted at 2.0 mg/cm2/h (logP = −0.77). Skin absorption of methanol vapor is another primary exposure route in terms of respiratory exposure.

1 Like

I’ll add it to my list of supplies I still need to purchase/find! thanks:)

I make my own acrylic glue by dissolving scrap acrylic in acetone and making a thickish goop. It bonds acrylic by chemically welding the pieces together.

1 Like

it works fine for me too

Acetone and making a thickish goop… sounds like worth giving a try! :slight_smile:

Sounds like fun but for now I will just fork out the cash in exchange for my time.

Cheers

Sasquatch

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.