Is etching a Gradient even possible

Hello
I’m still fairly new to LightBurn and don’t know how to do anything but the basics. I am curious if there is a way (and it may not be even be possible for a laser) to etch the attached. In all the years my attempts for gradients in Corel were not successful so didn’t know if it’s possible at all now that I have different laser and software? Thank you

I’m going to assume you have a CO2 laser based on your profile.

In practice, CO2 lasers don’t allow for variable darkness engraving. Increasing power results in deeper engraving rather than darker engraving. Because of this, in order to simulate lighter vs darker colors, dithering techniques are used where different density of patterns represent lighter vs darker areas.

LightBurn has a large number of different image modes that you can select which includes several various dithering methods. Those should allow you to get a reasonable representation of the gradient you’re showing.

More information about the various Image modes here:
Image Mode - LightBurn Software Documentation

With good control of an appropriate power range and material, yes.

See the many impressive grayscale images produced on various lasers.

AFAICT, the pretty ones came from diode lasers and the really awful tests were from the CO₂ laser (admittedly, with an incorrect configuration).

Which is painfully obvious in acrylic, as with this grayscale ramp:

And Trocraft Eco doesn’t darken at all, even when engraved deep enough to hold a metal blade:

Grayscale results are possible, but the results depend on power, speed, material, and configuration. It’s definitely not easy.

Seems like this could be useful in its own right… with the right application.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.