Issues with different machine origins

I have two laser cutters that have their mechanical origins at different positions.

That means that , whenever I open a file, I need to flip it if it was made for the other laser. Or if it was made while the other laser was selected as a device.

That doesn’t make sense (though I understand where it comes from) and is prone to errors. I will forget to do it one day and end up with a part that is cut mirrored.

Also, I’ve noticed weird flips occuring when using text. Even when a shape is stored in the art library, I have shapes of which only the text is flipped in the library. Hard to reproduce, but it has something to do with switching between lasers and adding to the library.

A simple solution would be to include a “file origin” user setting. Same 4 options as the machine settings (top left, bottom left, etc). If the position of the user-set origin is different from the actual laser origin, a simple conversion (filp) would have to take place when importing the files or saving the files.

Please have a look at this. Of course, I could try to change the homing position of the laser, but that would mean moving limit switches, cabling, etc etc and void the warranty of the machine.

A more simple option would be to make sure both machines have the same origin setup.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.