Kerf Offset size on workspace

Is there a way to show the actual size of a piece, that has a kerf offset,on the workspace?
Thanks,
Tom

Not directly, no. What are you attempting to do?

One potential workaround is that you could manually offset the shape using the Offset Shapes tool. This would result in the shape in workspace matching the offset size. You’d need to disable any kerf offset so that you’re not double offsetting.

Alternatively, you could do the manual offset and set the layer to a Frame layer or a non-output layer and retain the original if you wanted somehow preserve it while having a materialized version of the offset on another layer.

I’m attempting to cut the “flower” out of Bloodwood to set into Bolivian Rosewood as an inlay.

When I laid out each individual pedal on the workspace everything fit perfectly onto the size of the piece of Bloodwood I had cut for the pedals.
When I cut the pedals out they overlapped each other as they were much bigger then what showed on the workspace. I had to scrap the Bloodwood.
This is what it looked like on the workspace,

This is what was cut,I stopped the laser after the bottom row was cut,

The kerf offset won’t show in workspace but will show in Preview. Looks like you’re dealing with quite a large offset.

If Preview is insufficient then I’d suggest manually dialing in your offset and not relying on the kerf offset function. That will make things more obvious and can handle certain situations that may not work using a kerf offset. For example, when dealing with open shapes.

Thanks,
I think I’ll stich with the preview for now.
I’ll have to read your replies several times for it to sink into my 80 year old brain! LOL
Thanks again,
Tom

1 Like

Do the tests (for example with just two petals) on a piece of scrap wood instead of fine wood. Also to check that the kerf is more or less correct.

I cut soooooo many test pedals in the past 3 days I’m going crazy! LOL Old brains suck!
I had the kerf nailed down then ran into the problem we discussed above.
Thanks again,
Tom

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.