Laser engraving on Birds eye maple

I’m getting ready to do engraving and I was wondering if anyone has experience laser engraving on birds eye maple? Just a little concerned with the burn on the bird’s eyes in the wood.

Hi There,
While I do not engrave on Birds Eye, I have engraved on Maple, both boards and plywood. A lot of Maple plywood.

At first I got a light to medium brown burn on both however I wanted a dark brown / black burn so I put my laser out of focus by about a 1/8 - 1/4". I also sprayed my boards with a mixture of water and baking soda. About 3-4 TBSPN mixed with about 24oz of water worked great for me. I got really dark burns. Almost black.

It does raised the grain of the wood so after I sprayed them the first time, I sanded them smooth again and then reapplied the mixture. That seems to help also.

Good Luck!

(you may want to search “baking soda” on this site for the correct ratio. I remember there are a couple good posts about this.)

Thanks. I burned OK, but where the burns are the Poly remains sticky while the rest dried OK

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.