Laser engraving pictures

If you import a file that has multiple items in it, including an image, the cut list will contain the settings for each layer (color) in the file, as well as settings for images. If you double click the entry that says “Image” you’ll get the image settings.

This thread has been very helpful. I’m getting pretty good results. The one thing I’m still tinkering with is my settings when I convert to bitmap. I think my machine has .1 laser dot. That being said should I just stay at 300 DPI when converting to bitmap or should I go higher? Higher seems to work for some image and not others. Im really just looking for a rule of thumb on resolution setting relative to my machine.

Thans!

When you say “converting to bitmap” what are you referring to? Do you mean making a 1-bit dithered image prior to importing into LightBurn, or something else?

If you’re using external tools to prep, and converting to 1-bit, you should prep at the size and dpi you need, then enable the pass-through option in LightBurn. Generally I recommend not dithering externally, and saving a higher-than-needed DPI for the source image, then letting LightBurn set the DPI, do the final dither, and send to the laser. It’s easier to play with the settings if you do it this way - less bouncing between software.