Laser popcorn - sorta

I was in a conversation and one thing led to another, and “I wonder if you can pop corn with a laser?” No “hold my beer involved.”

I can obliterate, or write my name, but not pop it.

4 Likes

Try it with the lens out of focus so you get a wide beam and a more evenly dispersed heat affected zone, (following) :grin: you can do this, just ask yourself who has the brains here, you or the popcorn

2 Likes

I did. I had a cone larger than the kernel and tried high and low power. Maybe I’ll try with it covered in butter or oil.

Cool idea. What wattage is your laser? I have a 100 watt, so if that’s what you did, I won’t try! LOL

The whole idea is to pressurize the water trapped inside the kernel. you can’t pop it while letting steam escape.

I’m surprised nobody has made a Real Genius reference. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Someone is going to do a dissertation on this and earn an IgNobel I am sure…

I tried a light coating of canola oil, a small ziplock opened just a little bit, and defocused as far as I could (about 1" circle). 20% power, which took forever to show a mark on toilet paper, and the plastic started to melt. No popcorn.

I’ve seen it done by spinning the kernel while lasing it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.