Laser won't cut through acrylic

hey there! im having trouble getting my machine to cut through my material (acrylic). ive got the power set to 100% and speed 18mm/s. Am I doing something wrong? thanks

Type of laser would help…is it a CO2 and if so what size…50;watt etc….

1 Like

Yes, you should enhance your profile with Machine Make / Model, Laser Type, Laser Rated Output, Bed Size, (as well as the controller info you already provided). Then others can help you more effectively with your questions.

its CO2! and 80W

size is 600mmx400mm

Have you checked your alignment?
Last time I had this problem, my 3rd mirror was out of alignment and the laser was hitting the nozzle.
Easiest way to check for that is feeling your nozzle after a run. If it’s hot, your hitting the nozzle.

Also, are you sure you are safe running at 100% power?
For my CO2 laser, I have to run at 40% to stay within the safe power range of my tube.

Definitely have an issue here. At 100 % power and 18 mm a sec you should blow through acrylic….actually it’s way too much power at that slow a speed.
So as was mentioned you need to check your beam and it’s alignment. There is a process well spelled out in most of the manuals that came with the machine.
An easy quick check is this. Lower your bed well beyond the focal point of the nozzle….this will defocus the beam and make it larger. I mean like say 3 inches or so from nozzle to a test piece of wood. Then do a pulsed burn and look at the spot burn. I bet it’s not a nice round burn…and you can move it around in x and y and test in other spots as well.
That’s just a quick easy way to see if your beam is clipping somewhere due to a poor alignment.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.