Light burn will not import from AI

I made something in AI. I saved it as AI, PDF, PNG & SVG. None will work in light burn. They behave differently though. The AI and PDF files partially open on screen but the portions of text do not. The PNG file opens in the graphic but will not print. I get "invalid gcode ID:66. They all elicit the same response in the console. I know this is supposed to work.

I may be wrong but I believe text in AI/PDF is not supported at this time. SVG has received some text support.

This is unusual.

Are you saying you get the gcode error in all cases?

Can you confirm this is a new LightBurn installation or this has previously been working?

Please provide the following:

1. upload sample files that you’re having issues with including the .lbrn file if you’re willing
  2. Copy/paste Console output here of the error
  3. Click Devices button in Laser window, then click the name of your laser. Take a screenshot
  4. Screenshot of Edit->Device Settings
  5. Run in Console and return results:
$I
$$
$#
  1. Can you confirm what kind of laser you’re running?

![liverpool|217x500](upload://lr

im new so I can’t upload more than 4 things
Im running a foxalien reizer mega with 40W laser

I don’t think the PNG issue has anything to do with AI import. You have a configuration or connectivity issue.

Can you take a full screenshot of LightBurn (uncropped)?

Also, with the PNG loaded, can you right-click on Save Gcode in Laser window and save the file with a .txt extension and post here?

liverpool.txt (1.4 MB)

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the generated gcode so definitely something going on with the controller or connectivity.

Are you certain that your board is a GRBL controller? Are you able to connect and use this laser with any other software?

One thing to try is to enable the “Enable DTR signal” switch in Edit->Device Settings. Then retry.

1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the generated gcode so definitely something going on with the controller or connectivity.

Are you certain that your board is a GRBL controller? Are you able to connect and use this laser with any other software?
honestly, I don’t really know what this is asking… I’ve not tried it with other software.

One thing to try is to enable the “Enable DTR signal” switch in Edit->Device Settings. Then retry.
did this. it seems to have solved something. What is DTR signal?

There is a circuit board attached to your laser that has a USB port. That circuit board houses various chips and acts as the “Controller” to the laser. The controller is what LightBurn communicates with via USB. There are different types of control software that run on the Controllers. A common one for lasers and CNC is GRBL. Foxalien lasers often use GRBL but I’m not sure if they exclusively use GRBL controllers.

DTR is a control signal used in serial communication. It can be used in establishing serial connections.

Are you now getting different behavior?

YES! its printing! Thank you so much. It seems I have some bugs to work out but its a process. Todays lesson is a win. Have a great day!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.