Lightburn destroys neje diode laser

This is what you have written in the headline, if it is a question then please define them as such.

Lightburn has not destroyed your diode. The most Lightburn can do is tell your diodes controller to turn on to 100% power. If your diode burned out it’s because NEJE has grossly overrated (and overpowered) the poor thing. 40 watts out of a poor little diode that’s probably rated at more like 7 watts.
It’s called marketing. Or lying. Depending on whether you selling or buying.

1 Like

You have the settings set incorrectly. The issues you list are hard to follow, but most, if not all are addressed by the firmware settings and then telling LightBurn what settings you have. LightBurn talks to the control board. The control board has settings in firmware. If these settings are not set properly, you will see many of the issues you are observing.

What firmware, including the version number, are you using to drive this Neje? Have you recently updated this firmware?

1 Like

What I don’t understand is: I used Neje software and LaserGRBL and everything was fine, I did some tests with Lightburn and after a while it stopped working! If I uninstall Lightburn and try with Neje and LaserGRBL software, the laser doesn’t work anymore! You say it’s a settings problem? The firmware is GRBL 1.1f, the Lightburn version 0.9.21 (I also tried with 0.9.20, but nothing). I hope it’s a setting problem, but 2 out of 2 seems more than a coincidence to me! Then: why does Lightburn print me the words backwards? I wish I’d never had this kind of problem, but it happened. I would have preferred to keep working rather than having to write and find the problem! Don’t you say?

The words are backwards because you have likely set the origin point incorrectly. It is usually front-left. LightBurn cannot do anything specifically that would fry a diode laser - it sends commands to the GCode controller, and that controller drives the laser - All I can do is tell it to turn on or off, and give a power percentage.

The reason is you have incorrect settings. We can help if you post what you currently have set in firmware. Type $$ followed with Enter/Return. Note the information that gets spit back in the ‘Console’ window. Copy and Paste all resulting text here for review.

When you did the initial setup in LightBurn, where did you set the ‘Machine Origin’? This is a very common misunderstanding and is covered in detail in our documentation, and here on the forum.

As for the diode not emitting the same level of output expected, you may have failing hardware. When using Neje or LaserGRBL software, you observed output you expected and now you don’t. LightBurn does not make changes to your laser or control board unless you explicitly made a change. Not getting the same results you observed originally, VRS the result you get now when using another software would indicate changes to firmware or potential hardware failure.

I broke my first laser NEJE without Lightburn, but it was low end diod for sure, like 3w if we believe NEJE (did not find any marking to be sure). Used SW provided by manufacturer, it fromke after a ±month, I was engraving small images which took ~30-40 mins to complete, used it at 80% of power, still diode cracked after ~10 session. Then I thourogly red the descripotion of laser, it says session cannot be longer than 20 mins at full power. My guess it is even lower to keep it alive long, since it does not have even blower, just small heatsink. And this power you see in description, is power consumption of diode, not optical output, most likely it is liek 5,5W in your case. Does your laser comes with cooler?

I have a NEJE 30w that I’ve been using with Lightburn since I bought it months ago. I don’t use it a ton, but I have made a dozen or so mandalas and other projects with it.

I’ve not had a problem at all, and I use the laser at 100% most of the time, running for hours.

Mine has a fan on top of the heatsink, though. Mine’s the one with the little red window at the base of it. I think it’s a newer design, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

si, ha la ventola sopra e uso l’air assist. il mio è 40w (15w effettivi). comunque, sul manuale dice che si può usare per ore ininterrottamente!

Hi there… Is it possible that the software of Neje restricts the power so that the diode keeps living, but as soon as you use other software, which of course doesn’t have that restiction, kills the diode? I can’t think another way that this seems to happen…

I run the same laser, I believe, a 40 watt (input) model and have had no issues with light burn. I highly doubt it’s software related, unless it’s your lasers configuration. The output of this device is about 5 to 7 watts max from temperature increase. I do not have a commercial watt meter. I stay under 80% power.

Apart from the mechanical movement of the laser, the simple fact is there is only so much the software can control on these led lasers and it’s pretty much the duty cycle. The control board on the solid state led devices itself can also fail with strange results. It’s frustrating when you get a couple of bad items you start questioning everything. It’s probable the diodes. The software been pretty much hammered, you need look elsewhere.

Good luck, take care.

I had this same thing happen with my NEJE 7.5w that I purchased on Mar 9 and it lasted 45 days with less than 100 hours on it. NEJE won’t stand behind their product at all. In fact they basically told me “tough sht" I would have to deal with the platform that sold it eBay. eBay told me "tough sht” it’s been more than 30days. So I gave NEJE $500 for 7 weeks rent

Sometimes that’s a problem with Chinese stuff. If you want any kind of warranty, purchase from a US vendor of the product. At least you’ll have some kind of ability to talk with someone. I purchased from a china company and received about 25 cents worth of product. My credit card company reimbursed me. Did you use a credit card?

Hi Jack
You know I thought of that when I made my purchase. That is why I bought thru eBay
But because it took a crap after their 30 money back guarantee (45 days), eBay wouldn’t help me at all. eBay said that I needed to go thru them and contact the seller (some version of NEJE).
Then they started to ignore my emails, so I found another NEJE Customer Service email address. The people at the end of the new address told me that I needed to go thru the PLATFORM that I bought it from to deal with problem.

The problem is NEJE posts everywhere that they have the Customer Service and a 2 year warranty. They are liars, sell crap and don’t care about their customers at all.
WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?

1 Like

The 40w (input power module) puts out a nominal 15w - because there are two diodes inside summed through a prism.

Neat, where did the dual diode configuration information come from? I find it hard to believe that any laser has a 38% power conversion, especially these things. The best seem to be about 10%, meaning only about 4 watts out with 40 in. Pumped lasers have a range from 1% to 25%.

I’ve tried using a Mahoney watt meter on mine, but it’s for a CO2 laser, so I’m not sure what to make of it. They said ‘guesstimate’ lol… Appeared to be about 2 watts.

Robert, most things have an limit, otherwise I’d guess it’d be called something else. That’s the problem with those electronics. I purchase about 1/2 dozen PWM to 0 -10 v, but it needed to run off 24 volts for full 0 - 10 range output. Hooked it up to 24 v and poof.

Sometimes you pay your money (throw the dice) and take your chances. Also known as gambling… Better luck in the future with these things.

Take care.

A dual laser system with fiber optics and prism control / combiner is available and I have also in another post posted a link on the subject, but it cost without the necessary power supply 7000 us dollars. Therefore, I am a little skeptical that we can get this type of laser in the end user market. But, it will not surprise me if the Chinese or him from Russia put up 2 diodes with a prism, why not.

This is similar, a link to a crazy guy with a laser from ebay.

It is cheap.

No, no, the laser I’m talking about is serious enough, but just in a completely different price range.
But I will not be surprised if there is or will be some kind of cheap laser diode combiner. The problem is just that for it to work it requires very expensive components and they are definitely not in the Russian or Chinese “30-40Watt” diode lasers for $ 500. That was my point.

I was trying to support your point :slight_smile: That’s a nasty little laser for $500.