Lightburn keeps asking for floating licence key

Hello, (I’m aware this is an issue that has already been posted about).

We have a number of floating licence seats for students to use on their personal computers. I see from other threads that the solution for this is machine-specific and would involve each user going into CMD/Terminal on their individual device/laptop. This isn’t really feasible for a classroom of middle school students… Is there simply a way for Lightburn to “remember” the licence key for future use?

This is also a major headache for our shared lab with floating licence seats. We have 10 computers and hundreds of users. Almost every time LightBurn is launched, the key needs to be re-entered.

I have spoken directly with LightBurn’s tech support and they don’t seem to have a solution. The most promising solution was the one found here: Licensing Setup - Configuring different license options , however it did not work on our Linux computers.

I was hopeful that command line execution with the -l argument would do the trick, but rather than launch Lightburn with the key provided on the command line, which would be wonderful, this seems to generate a special *.ldata file that needs to be placed in a special location that ultimately fails to work.

Has anyone else found success with this?

One thing I’ve noticed is that putting the lightburn.ldata file in /etc/ definitely does something. When that file doesn’t exist, the first thing Lightburn prompts is the License Page: “We’d love to make LightBurn free…”. When the file is present in /etc/, I get another popup before this License Page titled License System Error: “Invalid license key”.

I may have found the last piece of the puzzle. I noticed that after creating the lightburn.ldata file and putting it in /etc/, this seemed to work for some users and not for others on the same computer. It seems that LightBurn is storing some cached info about the license somewhere in the config files that causes this inconsistency. I haven’t found exactly where, but I found that by deleting the user’s ~/.config/LightBurn directory and letting the execution of LightBurn recreate it, the license is finally being taken care of automatically.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.