Lightburn not Talking to Laser

BollLaser LS1420. Lightburn 0.9.16. Using USB. Lightburn says no devices found. When I press start it says “there was a problem sending data to the laser. The machine may be busy or paused.”

Using Microsoft Windows 10 Pro. Version 1909.

Did you install the FTDI driver at the end of the LightBurn installation? You only need to do it once, but it’s necessary.

https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/NewDocs/Installation.html

A post was split to a new topic: Connecting to a Vigotec laser?

I didn’t the first time I installed the updates. Then I went back and ran the update again and checked the box for FTDI and still nothing.

On my laser I have to have the laser turned on then start lightburn.

“and still nothing” - can you be more descriptive than this? “nothing” doesn’t tell me what you tried, what you clicked, what LightBurn said in response, etc. It’s not much to work with, and we can’t see what you see, so it’s hard to help without more detail.

• Do you hear the ‘Ding!’ when you connect the laser to the PC?
  • Did LightBurn find your laser?
  • Do you see ‘Found RDC 644xG’ along the bottom of the window when you run LightBurn?

I do hear the ding. Lightburn at the bottom says no device found.

When LightBurn connects, you’ll see ‘Found RDC 644xG’ or something similar along the bottom status bar, roughly in the middle. If you don’t see that, pressing start / stop / send / etc will do nothing at all.

A few questions:

• Have you rebooted your computer after installing the device driver?
  • Have you attempted anything with the stock (RDWorks / LaserWorks) software?
  • Did LightBurn find your laser when using the ‘Find my Laser’ process?
  • Is the laser control panel powered and lit up?

I have restarted the computer. Disconnected and reconnected. Powered on machine before opening lightburn and after.

RD Works still functions.

LightBurn does not find the device when using the “Find my laser” option.

You aren’t running RDWorks at the same time, are you? And I’m assuming you haven’t created a device manually or anything? (as in, you have no devices configured yet in LightBurn?)

I’m not using them both at the same time. I never use RD works anymore. I just tried it to see if it was working but I closed the other application when trying the other.

I don’t have any devices configured in LightBurn besides the USB device. I don’t have any I’ve manually configured.

If you have a Ruida / USB device configured already, Find my Laser won’t find anything, because it’s already there, and probably connecting. Running the auto-find again is a bit like trying to call yourself on the phone.

Do this for me:

• Power up your laser
  • Run LightBurn
  • Go to Help > Enable debug logging (at the bottom)
  • Right-click the ‘Devices’ button in the Laser window
  • Count to 5
  • Quit

You’ll find a file called LightBurnLog.txt in your Documents folder. Attach it here and I’ll have a look.

LightBurnLog.txt (21.3 KB)

Your laser is not listed at all - it’s not showing up as a serial port. Download and install this driver:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%20v2.12.28%20WHQL%20Certified.zip

Alternately, you can try changing the connection method to ‘Packet/USB’ which uses the same driver that RDWorks installs with, and won’t need the above driver.

Changing to Packet/USB worked. Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.