Lightburn on Laserstorm s10

Hi All,

I’m struggling to get my laserstorm s10 to to do any kind of carving.

Lightstorm is connecting to the laser fine as I can control the head, send it home etc. But when I print even the simplest shape it fails with a G-code error on block / line 0.

Here is the G-code. Can anyone advise at all please?

; LightBurn 1.1.04
; iLaser device profile, absolute coords
; Bounds: X261.5 Y187.84 to X296.5 Y218.16
M101 P24
G00 G17 G40 G21 G54
G90
M4
; Cut @ 6000 mm/min, 25% power
M8
G0 X270.25Y187.845
; Layer C03
G1 X261.5Y203S250F6000
G1 X270.25Y218.155
G1 X287.75
G1 X296.5Y203
G1 X287.75Y187.845
G1 X270.25
M9
G1 S0
M5
G90
; return to user-defined finish pos
G0 X0 Y0
M2

— Edit - console output:
Starting stream

Layer C03

error:20

Unsupported or invalid g-code command found in block.

On or near line 0:

Job halted

Stream completed in 0:00

— Further update. removing P24 from the file allows the cut to start, but it only prints half the shape

I don’t know anything about the Laserstorm S10 but if it’s in fact a GRBL device then the likely reason for the issue is that you have configured it as a iLaser type device.

Go to Laser window → Devices → select your laser → Edit. Then change the device type to GRBL leaving the other selections the same (assuming they’re still good).

Retest.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

That allowed a cut to complete, but the proportions on the text are off. I wonder if that’s also related? (please see image)

Almost certainly unrelated. This looks like backlash to me. I would guess your pinions are not secured properly to the stepper shaft. Remove belts and make sure that there is no slip of the pinon to the shaft. If there is, then resecure grub screws to the flat portion of the shaft as well as any additional ones. There should be no perceivable movement of the pinion without an accompanied movement from the shaft. They should move as one piece.

When reattaching belts make sure there is no slack in the belts. They need to be taught but not stretched.

1 Like

Thanks @berainlb , I think you’re onto something there. I’ve re seated everything but on closer inspection the small wheels that move the frame along the gantry (apologies I don’t know all the lingo yet!) appear to be sticking ever so slightly as a move the frame which I guess is throwing things off.

Looks like I need to work out why they’re not rolling smoothly across the whole gantry,

1 Like

I considered binding being a possibility but this looks extreme for that to be the primary cause. In either case the wheels do need to be moving smoothly across the entire area of the frame. Common wheel issues could be from deformed or damaged wheels, misaligned attachment, deformation or debris in the grooves along the extrusions. You also want to make sure that wheel distance to groove is closed. You do this by adjusting the eccentric nut that’s situated on the wheel axle.

Thank you again for your reply, I’ll report back today with what I find.

After a combination of all your advice, and many hours of tinkering with wheel tightness, it’s finally cutting perfectly. Thank you again for your help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.