Lightburn on the Wainlux L3 with roller

The response is normal. The effect is not. This should have removed the offset.

Where are you seeing 0,0? Because that’s not what the ? shows.

This indicates your position as -228,-275. This is because G92 basically says offset your current position by -228,-275.

The response is normal. The effect is not. This should have removed the offset.
it didn’t, tried in both lasergrbl and LB, no luck on either

Where are you seeing 0,0? Because that’s not what the ? shows.
when you have the bed display / workarea, it has the target point at x0 y0 which is the front left corner,
however the coordinates show -228,-275.

I have cracked it open again and the chipset is an APM32 F103C8T6, if that helps, i’m guessing its a clone of the stm32 board structure perhaps? if i had access to the uncompiled firmware this would be just a matter of trail and error, its starting to annoy me

Not certain but this may not be showing what you think it’s showing. The -228,-275 is the machine reported position.

I’m wondering if Wainlux has hard-coded this. That’s unfortunate as that will make some things difficult or impossible. I suspect Absolute Coords would never work correctly. There may be other ways to work around this but would require experimentation.

Nice. Wasn’t able to read the chip in the previous photo you linked to. I’d never heard of it but you’re likely right about it being an STM32 clone.

There are a number of GRBL forks targeting STM32 so hard to say what they’d be using. Technically Wainlux are obliged to make their firmware freely available to comply with GPL license but I have not seen a single common manufacturer publish source. I’d be happy to see the issue pressed.

1 Like

I have gentley nudged them into giving the source to me, or I will rat them out :smiley:

1 Like

I found this on Twitter as well… Interesting history!

That Grbl 1.1f should be supported.
In the Devices menu did you select Gerbil-STM, Grbl-M3 or the regular GRBL?

I just selected the standard GRBL, I haven’t tried the others as yet, do you think there might be something in them that could work?

they are trying to play dumb, I just got this from them
‘GRBL is an open source software, you download it yourself, we don’t have the source code.’

This is laughable. Ask them to point out the specific source that they used with a link given this isn’t the original GRBL source. Which STM32 fork would this be based on? You should be able to compile a binary identical firmware if they’ve met their obligations. Minimally they’d have made configuration changes while compiling the firmware that they should make available.

This response doesn’t surprise me given their fast and loose attitude about the LightBurn cracking video.

Ok, I’m having an potential idea, this is just a controller board correct? so if i threw a programmable 3d printer controller board at it I could potentially get it working with that correct?

for instance I have a couple of bigtreetech skr mini boards kicking around, would they work?

You should be able to do much with a board swap. But a few unknowns:

1. From what I could tell of the USB port for the roller add-on is that it’s actually just using USB connectors but is electrically just normal stepper connectors. But you never know.
  2. I assume the auto-focus is purely hardware based but not sure if the GRBL firmware has any integration at all
  3. As far as I know there is no GRBL build for SKR mini but I could be wrong about this. You’d probably be better off running Smoothieware than Marlin if possible.

MKS DLC32 is well supported and a common board swap. There are many Arduino based designs as well.

1. From what I could tell of the USB port for the roller add-on is that it’s actually just using USB connectors but is electrically just normal stepper connectors. But you never know.

It certainly looks that way from what i saw of the internals

2*. I assume the auto-focus is purely hardware based but not sure if the GRBL firmware has any *
integration at all
i should be able to get this pickedd up on the z axis easily enough

3. As far as I know there is no GRBL build for SKR mini but I could be wrong about this. You’d probably be better off running Smoothieware than Marlin if possible.

I did just findd this thread
GrblHAL support for BTT SKR MINI E3 V2.0 3D printer board · Issue #2 · grblHAL/STM32F1xx · GitHub

MKS DLC32 is well supported and a common board swap. There are many Arduino based designs as well.
I might have another spare board kicking around and it might even be an old mks board…

That was an interesting read. Sounds like they got it to the point of just working but that’s been 8 months already. Guess you’d be fairly bleeding edge.

I believe these use Atmega328 which would be basically a pre-integrated Arduino solution and should work fairly well.

Ok the board is a MKS Base v1.2, now this was a gift as the guy no longer needed it the printer that it is out of has been converted to a vinyl cutter, I have no experiance with these boards what so ever,

I’m not really familiar with this board but a search reveals that it’s very similar to an Arduino Mega2560.

GitHub - gnea/grbl-Mega: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on an Arduino Mega2560

these wainlux guys are shady AF, I have written out exactly what is needed, even provided picturees and spelt it out so even if you don’t understand english you would still get the concept… they are saying its core technology and that they aren’t doing anything illegal, I have even shown them the information on how to get the firmware details that you got me to check earlier in this thread… So i officially reported them for violation of the GPLv3 License agreement,

1 Like

It seems they only respond to public shaming and subsequent fear of financial loss.

So they won’t tell you how to control the rotary or tell how to compile your own firmware?

nope, nothing, I’m going to have to play around and hopefully not kill myself via a bond villian type death!

“No, Mr. CriticalPaint… I expect you to die.” -pinky-to-mouth

In reviewing this thread it doesn’t look like we explored actually plugging the rotary into the Y-axis port. Have you tried that?

You might be able to use something like this to make it easy. You’d have to make sure the pinouts are actually correct:

I will give this a shot in the next few days or so, it will take me a a bit to jimmy up a cable