Lightburn sometimes does not work, could anybody else reproduce this issue?

This seems to be a big trap.

E.g. if your wizard detects Sculpfun S30 it could turn it on. Or the manufacturer should drop a line to documentation about this unpleasant feature.

Please note that even you as LigtBurn programmers cannot find the source of problem for 3 months.

Are you saying that enabling DTR resolves the issue? If so, didn’t you confirm months ago that this did not address the issue?

I asked about this in post 11 and you confirmed in post 12.

Unfortunately most manufacturers don’t give us a way to differentiate their hardware from others. In cases where they do, we already automatically set the DTR setting. If the machine was consistent, it would have been set already by the “Find my Laser” feature, as that tries both settings and uses the one that works

1 Like

Are you saying that enabling DTR resolves the issue? If so, didn’t you confirm months ago that this did not address the issue? I asked about this in post 11 and you confirmed in post 12.

Please note that I was absolutelly unaware about some hidden / hard-to-find DTR switch in the lightburn app. If you run some new app you surely do not know about all its settings.

I was working with many industrial projects using serial line, but this behavior I see for the first time.

Got it. I was just confused about the outcome. It wasn’t apparent to me at that time that you didn’t understand what I was asking you to check.

In any case, glad that resolved it.

1 Like

Like I said, LightBurn will automatically set this for you if you use the ‘Find my Laser’ feature and the device requires it. The problem seems to be that unless you run LaserGRBL first, the Sculpfun device does not require this setting, and its the inconsistency caused by the interaction between Sculpfun hardware and LaserGRBL that caused the issue.

I’ve never seen hardware behave like this before - The DTR signal either causes the device to be held in a reset state (Arduino), or it tells the connected device that the computer wants to talk. In the case of the Sculpfun, it looks like setting that flag is triggering a reset of the device, but not holding it in the reset state, which is weird.

I cannot help you much more. I can test some your binary code on my PC if you will need something to test. I personaly do not need to solve this more, only to help anybody else.

Without testing Sculpfun hardware all stays on water. Fortunatelly the most expensive part is LASER and stepper motor bare PCB electronics might be very cheap. May be that you can get sample from Sculpfun, because they claim your software to be recomended and they do not have own SW.

I was just confused about the outcome. It wasn’t apparent to me at that time that you didn’t understand what I was asking you to check.

Even very experienced user [misken][Melvin] did not recognise this.