Lightburn update not playing nice with MacOS

I updated this morning to the latest version of lightburn and now I cannot use either laser Machine I own the Ortur LM2 20w nor the YoraHome 6550 3w. The 6550 is running into walls and it does not matter which I use Absolute Coords, User Origin or current position. The frame works perfect but as soon as I go to start it goes all over the place. On the Ortur it just stops and has an error message as soon as I start it. Below are the code
[AUTHOR: RenShen]

[MODEL: Ortur Laser Master 2]

[OLF: 137]

[DATE:01:15:16 - Apr 20 2020]

[VER:1.1f.20170801:]

[OPT:VZD,35,254]

Target buffer size found

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:00

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:09

Starting stream

Starting stream

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Layer C00

ALARM:2

G-code motion target exceeds machine travel. Machine position safely retained. Alarm may be unlocked. (Right-click the ‘Devices’ button to reset the connection)

On or near line 4:

Job halted

[MSG:Reset to continue]

Waiting for connection…

Waiting for connection…

ok

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Starting stream

Layer C00

ALARM:2

G-code motion target exceeds machine travel. Machine position safely retained. Alarm may be unlocked. (Right-click the ‘Devices’ button to reset the connection)

On or near line 4:

Job halted

[MSG:Reset to continue]

Waiting for connection…

Waiting for connection…

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

Starting stream

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Waiting for connection…

Waiting for connection…

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

ok

[OPT:V,15,128]

Target buffer size found

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:10

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Starting stream

Starting stream

Starting stream

Starting stream

<Idle|MPos:76.963,26.950,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000>

ok

Starting stream

Layer C00

Job halted

Stream completed in 0:03

ALARM:3

Reset while in motion. Grbl cannot guarantee position. Lost steps are likely. Re-homing is highly recommended.

ok

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

<Idle|MPos:254.800,-41.688,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000>

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:11

ok

ok

Starting stream

Starting stream

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

<Idle|MPos:254.800,-41.688,0.000|FS:0,0|Ov:100,100,100>

ok

Starting stream

Layer C00

Job halted

Stream completed in 0:02

Reset while in motion. Grbl cannot guarantee position. Lost steps are likely. Re-homing is highly recommended.

ok

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:03

ok

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

ok

ok

ok

<Idle|MPos:224.263,26.950,0.000|FS:0,5|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000>

ok

Starting stream

[MSG:Pgm End]

Starting stream

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Layer C00

Job halted

Stream completed in 0:01

ok

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

<Idle|MPos:373.288,-72.525,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000>

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:12

Your log is very long, so I have no idea which error is related to which thing you wrote.

That said, I see at least one issue:
<Idle|MPos:254.800,-41.688,0.000|FS:0,0|Ov:100,100,100>

That says the machine position is at 254x and -41y, which is out of bounds, and likely why the machine halted.

Power cycle the controller and home it, then type this command in the console:

$# (press enter)

Tell me what that reports back to you.

Let’s deal with one machine at a time. On the YoraHome 6550 3w there is no home. I have a 10"x8" image I want to print onto a 10x8 maple plywood board. I first set origin to x 2.00 and y 1.00. I am using user origin. Here is what I got:

<Idle|MPos:7.075,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000>

ok

ok

When I then attempt to frame the board it goes properly around the board. I then hit start and the laser head moves to the right and down into the bottom wall. It starts the 45 degree as if it was in the middle of the page from the bottom wall at the 45 degree angle I set the print to be but from the lower right corner it worked before I updated with zero problems. Here is the code I had to stop it.
Starting stream

Starting stream

Layer C00

Job halted

Stream completed in 0:04

ok

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

ok

I then ran S# and got this result
S#

error:2

Numeric value format is not valid or missing an expected value.

How do you do this numerically when the machine has no homing sensors?

That might be an acceleration sensor in the machine tripping, or the USB connection dropping. LightBurn emits “Job halted” if you press stop or the machine disconnects for some reason.

Not the letter S, but $ (dollar sign) followed by # (number sign), like this:

$#

S#

error:2

Numeric value format is not valid or missing an expected value.

$#

[G54:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G55:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G56:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G57:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G58:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G59:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G28:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G30:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[G92:0.000,0.000,0.000]

[TLO:0.000]

[PRB:0.000,0.000,0.000:0]

ok

Are you using ‘Absolute Coords’? (you should be)
https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/NewDocs/CoordinatesOrigin.html

I have tried every single one and none of them work after the update prior to the update I used absolute coordinates on the Ortur LM2 and it worked perfectly since the update it does not work and on the YorHome I used mostly current position or user origin since there is no technical home. However before I sent this into you I tried absolute coords again just now and it went left into the axis walls when I tried to frame based on a coordinate of x 2.00 and y 1.00

I am still waiting for any assistance you can give me at this point I would prefer to go back to the last release of Lightburn for MacOS. Can you direct me to where I need to go to download it I have jobs that are sold and I am falling way behind.

I went back to the previous version of lightburn and once again everything works as it is supposed to. That means there are some serious bugs in the latest version of lightburn I suspect it is not playing nicely with another piece of software or a kext file. I also notices that I was unable to do a mask because the menu choices were greyed out even though I followed the YouTube video exactly. I am very disappointed that you did not grasp that issue when I first put the thread up. I made it. perfectly clear that everything worked under the old version. For this tech support report I can only give you one star

I have an Ortur sitting here on my desk, and have been using throughout the development of the new release, so I don’t understand why mine works and yours doesn’t. If you can install the new version again, and turn on ‘Show All’ in the Console window, then try to run something, the console logs from that might help me pin down what’s happening.

I have two machines the one I have been giving you all the readouts on is the YoraHome. It is not the Ortur LM2 although I am having issues with that one as well they are different issues it just won’t start it does the frame etc fine and I only use absolute coords on the Ortur. Maybe that is why we did not get on the same page here. I was in the computer industry since 1981 so I am quite computer literate. In my experience what I am experiencing is some sort of software conflict. I’d be more than happy to send you whatever information on apps and other widgets I am using. I have for example photoshop, Corel draw, graphic converter 11, Nisus writer, excel, Safari and Microsoft Edge running on a daily basis. I run camengine light and at home video streamer to watch the burns of course I use apple mail as well. I run Alfred net barrier and netupcdate un the background, Typinator, one password and a few more programs that run in the background such as a copy paste program. But something is not playing nice with lightburn. I’d be more than happy to trouble shoot these by running or not running each of the programs and see exactly what the results are and if the conflicts end. But I need your help and do not want to put all this info about my system here for public consumption. Just let me know what you need from me and I will run the new upgrade for testing and the older version for my production purposes until we find the culprit

It would be very surprising if it was an independent application causing the issues. If it doesn’t home, current position should work - I’ve just tried it here with a crappy Eleksmaker running GRBL 0.9, and that works.

If you have $10=0 set (report position in workspace coords, not machine space), Current Position mode should work whether you zero or not. If you have the position reporting set incorrectly, it might give you weird results.

Thank you I will try that. When you say report position in workspace coords, not machine space I assume you mean in the console where I can enter commands. If that is not what you are referring to can you please point me in the right direction. Once I have the YoraHome 6550 working then I can work with you on the error that is happening on the Ortur LM2 immediately upon start and using absolute coords

I have just installed latest MacOs lightburn
if i can help replicate something just let me know

Honestly been a bit swaped to test all things but i can get to it if required.

Thank you Gil, I am in the middle of running a couple of sold jobs using the old version because these have to be out, but later this morning I will be working again with the new update. Would it help if I video what the laser machine is doing?

1 Like

One more caveat that might help I have a MacBook besides my desktop Mac and this afternoon I will be firing that up and testing on the Ortur LM2 while the Yora is doing production work. My MacBook has almost none of the programs and widgets my desktop does so it will help me trouble shoot. I will keep you advised as to what I find good or bad

Set your machine status reporting to be relative to the workspace origin, not the machine origin by typing the command $10=0 into the console. That will be necessary for the Yora to work, but the Ortur shouldn’t need it, because it homes properly. If it doesn’t home properly then you’d need to fix that.

The update fixed all problems and everything works fine now thank you