Lightburn using ortur 20w

Needless to say, new to this, and the main goal is to get a small 4x4 picture burned to material. (ideally black painted tile) Or a wood coaster as just an image.

Have tried 3mm chip board, dark and light, and unless I turn the power to over 70% with a slow speed, nothing happens.

I have tried cardboard as well.

After the laser is connected and operating, does the laser pointer/light need to be adjusted?

I have gone over videos, manuals, different help topics, and this probably very simple issue I am missing something probably obvious.

What is “slow speed”?

So far, what you’ve described is normal for diode lasers. They do not engrave quickly, but your version of “slow speed” may mean something completely different than mine, so the actual numbers would be good to have.

using 3mm chipboard
trying to do a 2x2" image of a pet
speed 500 in/min
max 50% power
.00394 line interval 254 dpi
1 pass

That’s 8.333 inches a second or 211.66 Millimeters a second. I do not think your system is capable of those speeds. You are also showing a light colored material, is that what you are trying to use? Most common Diode-based lasers produce light that reflects off light colors, reducing the deposited power. Darker colored surfaces reflect less light, allowing more power from the laser to be deposited for cutting and work better.

1 Like

So is the best practice to paint or stain the wood dark first?

What settings in that case?

What settings would be best for black painted tile?

Hi everyone, I’m new here. I’ve just set up my Ortur M2 20w. It looks to me like your speed is too fast.

I’ve made some successful engravings on the sample 3mm ply material supplied by Ortur.

My settings are 6000mm/min which is 236in/min when converted to imperial. There should be no problem engraving that light material, the problem occurs if the surface is glossy. If the image is too light, just run it again.

the 3mm wood i was using is not glossy, will try it again slower

i am now trying 25/in min 75% power …0023 interval on black painted tile after using image-r and telling it black painted tile.

this doesn’t work either

So using my Ortur 20w, i did a test burn on different powers and speeds using a file in another post called

PowerScale Test_01_Rico.lbrn (23.7 KB)

Doing this on black painted tile

top left is 80% at 24 in/min, bottom left 80% at 945 in/min

and downward going rightIMG_4418

slowed it down a lot and still not doing well on tile

i sprayed black gloss and tried black matte

i spray from all four angles lightly to fully cover each edge. let it dry over night.

also did this same thing after 1st spraying a light color, then the black.

then I did the square test pattern at different speeds and powers, and only 2 of them actually showed anything other than black.

i tried to focus the dot to get a clear small dot, and the dot is small but not a pin head round, it is like a 1/32" thin line, is this correct?

any examples of what the dot should really look like if optimized?

So I am using the attached burn test, and my results on black painted tile, plain wood, and chalk painted white wood, and results are all extremely disappointing

ColorTest1200final_backup.lbrn (2.0 MB)

Seems to me you have a optical/focus issue or a diode issue

I would sugest, as is outside the scope of lightburn forum you come over to ortur.tech/support and open a ticket for this please?
Regards

Are you sure you are in focus? I use a USB microscope to help with focus. I have a 20w machine too. My distance is about 36mm from the bottom of the heatsink(not lens) to the work piece. I 3d printed small boxes to hold the tile up. I also 3d printed a lens focus ring and Z axis carriage that allows for easy up/down movement. I am doing white tile painted gloss white. Using the newsprint setting for dithering in light burn. Burn settings: 1100/90 318 dpi or 0.080. I get permanent black and white etchings on cheap 4x4 tile. Other notes. Some have luck with the G8 lens. I did not. When I get it in focus, there are so few threads holding it in, it falls out during burn. There is an Ortur FB page that has a bunch of files and helpful tips. Plus people are regularly helping each other out. The last burn I did was a cropped square color imported into light burn, sized 4.3”x4.3”.

heat sink is the part that the lens screw into? (dumb question i know, but new) It is 2-1/8" above material. Listen to this video of my machine making some new sounds when moving.

bbahi.com/video/ortur1.mov

That sounds ugly. Does the carriage move freely when pushed by hand? Mine used to make that sound when I had the Z axis too low and the carriage couldn’t hit the limit switch. It would try to keep moving but couldn’t. Are you hitting the home button? That allows the machine to learn a starting point. Can the carriage hit the home switch?

Yea, you are 54mm above the work piece. That is too high. 36 mm is 1.41 inches.

I just about gave up on the LM2. Some people are helpful. But, most are kind of protective. They make money with these. And to help others is helping competition. I want to make money with mine. But, I won’t be doing Etsy or anything like that. It will be local. I just figured out the white paint on white tile thing the other day. Took couple dozen tiles and a bunch of video watching.

HI.
Ortur 20w 4" x4" white gloss white tile, coats black matt spray paint, 100 mm/sec, 80% power
254 Dpi. 9.38 mins to print.
Light rubbed with meths after printing,Hope this is of some hepl.

Hi Ron @z3pilot99,
I’ve made a few white tiles that worked great, but suddenly everything is coming out very light. I’ve tried burning a calibration matrix with different speeds and power, then choose the darkest, but then when I try a picture it comes out very light. When I clean off the white paint, it removes all of the detail. I’m using the Ortur 15W. I would love to know more about your process and settings. Thanks.

100 mm/sec??? or per minute?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.