Lightburn we have a problem

That his OS is the problem

And yet, under Parallelles it works?
odd isnt it?

No, not at all - completely different USB drivers, hardware communication stack, etc. MacOS has a history of being troublesome with FTDI devices because of their included virtual serial port driver conflicting with the FTDI device. I’ve also seen issues with some port extensions on MacOS. We had one Mac user with a USB C to A converter that was causing Smoothieware not to fire - everything else worked. Changing to a different USB hub fixed the issue.

On 0.9.12 we moved to 10.12 as a required MacOS, but reverted back for 0.9.15, so 9.15 and 9.16 should both work on MacOS 10.11 again.

Understand
so, in effect, any way to debug/fix? or is OS version dependent?

Not easily, no. I’m adding Ping-Pong sending (it’s done, needs testing) which might help, but if it’s a fundamental issue with the USB stack or drivers, there’s not going to be much I can do.

1 Like

Understood, to the extent i can get my head arround it.
Briefly, if you can, what would the ping pong fucntion do, or help with.
Thanks!

1 Like

Read the difference between ‘Buffered’ and ‘Synchronous’ here:

http://lasergrbl.com/configuration/#streaming-mode

It forces communication to be half-duplex instead of full duplex (one direction at a time, instead of both ends talking at the same time). It will help if the controller has faulty threading or receiver logic that allows it to drop serial input when busy, and it will be marginally less sensitive to line noise.

1 Like

Understood! thanks

Hi, same problem occurred under Sierra os; under Catalina it works perfectly.

Jim, What mac are you using? What OS level? I run lightburn from a Macbook Pro laptop, 2015 model. Running OSX 10.13.6. It runs flawlessly. How much RAM memory does your system have? How much free disk space? Have you upgraded all the required updates? Is your LB updated? Just some thoughts…

Nothing… I run lightburn from a Macbook Pro laptop, 2015 model. Running OSX 10.13.6. It runs flawlessly.

Sorry Kerry, for not getting back to you sooner, but I have been busy trying to resolve my problem. As you can see OZ from Lightburn and Gil from Ortur have been really great trying to resolve the problem of which I’m grateful. So to answer your questions, Im using 2007 iMac running El Capitan which is the last upgrade possible. This is an old one which I use in my shop and I have a new iMac with Catalina for the office which works falwlessly with Lightburn. So, I’m trying to get the old one working for shop uses. With that said, I upgraded the RAM to 6 from 4 and that is the largest it will take. The disk has been erasied with an El Capitan clean install so plenty of disk space. I have the latest Lightburn software which covers Macs through 2007.

So, over the last weeks I upgraded the CPU to T9300, increased RAM to 6 megs. With the CPU upgrade I was able to upgrade my OS El Capatin to High Sierra with a High Sierra Patch. Even though it was quite the ordeal to upgrade, I finally got it installed and running. The next hurdle was the WIFI card is not compatible with High Sierra. So, off to Bestbuy to get an external USB WIFI module. Now everything is working (so far).

Last night I engraved an image on white tile and all went well without stoping, finally! Now, today I will try another tile engraving and hope like hell it doesn’t stop. We’ll see.

Thank you for jumping in and thanks to OZ and Gil.

Please read my latest post. Thanks for you on going help. strong text

Please read my latest post. Thanks for you on going help.

I have the same problem. It stops in the middle of an image.
My question is : how do I restart it from the same point? Otherwise the piece I am engraving is spoiled.

Also which older version of the software should I use to solve the problem?

Also: when does lightburn expect to come pu with a fix?

Unfortunately this is not a LightBurn issue. We have a potential workaround being tested to see if the Ortur can handle normal “ping-pong” communication instead of the high-speed streaming method we use, and this will be included in the next release.

That high-speed streaming method is recommended by the creators of GRBL firmware, and works flawlessly on other hardware, so we know this is not a LightBurn bug. There has never been a version of LightBurn that didn’t have this, so an older version isn’t going to fix it either.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.