Lines on engraving and poor overall results

Hello again follow burners.

I am not sure if I should be posting this here or maybe the awesome.tech forum.

I am having a few growing pains as I get going with my new rig:
K40 PSU II
LB latest version 0.9.02
Older HP laptop Win 10.
Mini Gerbil set as “Gerbil-STM” (recognized controller automatically).

Overall everything is swell. USB hangs conflicting with a wireless mouse on USB but I will sort that out.
Right now I can Line/Fill pretty well and I am just getting going with grayscale engraving.
My initial testing is going well but as you can see I am having a problem with lining for lack of a better word.
I took a snap of my grayscale LB settings (sorry for the poor quality images, I promise I will get better ones as I get setup).
All settings are default from setting up the Mini Gerbil with a couple of power range and speed changes.
I have tried several combinations of $30 range settings from 30 to 2000 and settled on 255 as opposed to the 1000 which seems to be the default.
Speed is kind of slow at 20 mm/sec but seems smooth enough. Power is not sorted yet either at around 3 %.

I am kind of all over the map shooting in the dark so any foundational guidance y’all can offer would be greatly appreciated and please treat me like a complete moron as assuming I may be missing the basics.

Also, I almost certainly have not provided enough info so please ask me what else I should include to help debug this.

Thx.
Little%20house Grayscale%20Lined
Grayscale%20LB%20settings

I’m not terribly familiar with the Mini Gerbil, but the lines could be caused by:

• Something interfering with the motion of the Y axis (debris on the rails or belts, loose coupler, etc)
  • Not enough current going to the Y axis motor, causing it to miss in-between steps.

Based on the irregularity of the pattern, I’d say the first option is more likely.

Thanks Oz.
I’ll check both of those things in the morning.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.