Little help needed with a coaster

I’m trying to make a friend a coaster, everything turned out great…except around my image was like a grey square box around the whole image, i just want the image only how do I fix this? is it because I had over scanning on maybe? ill attach the Lightburn picture I wanted, then ill attach the end result. thanks I’m sure its a easy fix?

Those artifacts are likely in the image itself. Either non-white pixels or other noise in the background of the image.

Some remediation methods:

1. Make an image mask and mask out all background data
  2. Start with a higher quality image with no such noise. For an image, it would ideally be a transparent PNG with the background transparent.
  3. Work from a clean vector version of the file; you could attempt to trace this and remove unwanted portions of the trace.
2 Likes

I have had this many times and the cure was to select image then adjust image. Here you can adjust the image until the background is no longer visible. Changing contrast and trying different modes also helps. Your power/speed settings are a lot higher than I use. Try a faster speed which will also reduce the burn of the background. These were done at 1200mm/m 80% on my machine. Just done these - Finished Creations - LightBurn Software Forum

1 Like

Use the preview preview-icon it will save you time and material. You would have seen the anomalies in the preview screen.

I usually use a graphics program to remove the background… it doesn’t go away, technically, but it doesn’t burn… I use Gimp…

If you can post the original, I’ll try my technique on it… I did it with this leaf…

Good luck

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

thanks! I used removebg on the web site and that worked, ill post pictures later they r still in shop clear coat is drying.
and ill remember that preview from now on. i have been just using adjust image and that didnt show all the extra stuff.

1 Like

If that fixed it mark the appropriate thread as solved…

We’ll be waiting for you to post some of your work… :thinking:

Here’s a pair of my slate coasters and a Norton Tile Method on a 6x6 porcelain tile. It’s actually the @RonClarke method of mixture and magic.

Good luck

1 Like

First two was to dark so I lightened up next 2 and to light.

Nice. What technique did you end up using?

Also, can’t quite tell from just the coasters but it looks like you might have an issue of backlash or possibly an offset scanning issue on the X axis. I’m seeing what looks like ghosting or double adjacent lines. This could just be part of the design, though.

If you want to test this, create a filled square. Set interval to 1 mm so that each line is clearly visible. Do bidirectional scan at 0 degrees so it runs horizontally. You can do this on any material that will show you a clear mark. If you have one of these issues it will manifest as left and right edges not lining up vertically.

I do not know how to marked this topic as solved.

Ok I will try this tomorrow thank you.

Try using the materials test in the Laser Tools menu to come up with the proper speed/power for what you want… you can do a few tests on each side of the coaster to dial it in…

What generally hurts people is the use of the proper dpi for a fill or photograph. Laser Everything has a great video that clearly describes how to setup any laser for any material for the best dpi. It’s relatively short (~40 minutes), but will help you understand what’s going on…

Good luck

1 Like

As a side note, I use GIMP to clean up images when nothing else works. I export from GIMP as a bitmap and all is good. GIMP has a Windows version.

Since gimp is for photographs and Lightburn is for lasers, use the right tool for the job… most of these tools overlap a bit in their functionality.

I use Gimp quite a bit when the original isn’t quite what I want. It’s difficult in Lightburn to do burning and dogging on a photograph…