Major BUG in 0.9.23

I haven’t had any serious communication errors when sending files to either of my lasers as of yet. If I have , my thoughts so far was that was user error.

Yes, thank you. We need to see these when this happens. LightBurn should not crash, but it can happen, and we need to know, or we won’t know what need to be addressed to provide the most stable software possible. We try to tell you this in that message where it says, “LightBurn has crashed. Send a screenshot of this message…”, and so on.

The development team can now review and provide some feedback. Thank you for providing this report.

I knew I had a design with a few nodes since I’d done lots of editing when I created it weeks ago so I thought I’d load it up in 0.9.24 and 0.9.23, edit some nodes and then try the offset feature. Seemed to handle it ok so far. Linux KUbuntu 18.04 16GB RAM and NVidia graphics card.

@Custommade , that star is very light on nodes though and it doesn’t look like you’re editing nodes when doing the offset. With some help explaining what process you do to cause the crash it’d help in reproducing the problem.

During the multiple crashes of the flag design, it happened while editing the nodes of the stripes on an American flag . They were simple rectangles for each stripe and I used the nodes to remove the overhanging ends and join them to to the offset lines that I had created around the original line drawing. I can pull up the file and show several stages of the design if needed. This was why I had to save the design every 60 seconds before it would crash again and I would lose progress.
The crash that happened today that I did not take pictures of (but if it crashes on that design tomorrow I will for sure) happened when I had an image open and I was using the pencil to go around the image and drop lines and nodes that I would be able to tweak afterward. The image had poor contrast that I wasnt able to use the trace feature very well on it, but I have had success with tracing difficult parts such as this with the pencil tool before. I can take some pics of the design tomorrow morning and show you what I was working on. I was literally tracing an outline of the continents on a globe map with the pencil tool. Very simple stuff. Partway thru the design it popped up amd said lightburn has crashed and it shuts the program down. I reopened the program, selected the file from the dropdown menu for recent files and opened it. It had not saved any of the mornings progress on the file. Thats when I gave up on it and worked on other things until we can figure out what the solution may be. Thank you by the way to everyone helping with this!

Something is nagging at me that this problem is related to an OS update. v0.9.23 is the latest version of LightBurn so there would not be a suggesting from the LightBurn software for an update. What did you update?

Here again you state that LightBurn indicated you needed to update by you stated you already did and were at the latest version. Seems something other than LightBurn is telling you to update and it should seem strange installing the same file( LightBurn 0.9.23 installation ) over and over.

Maybe it’s graphics drivers in Windows 10 and not LightBurn?

v0.9.23 is the latest version of LightBurn so there would not be a suggesting from the LightBurn software for an update.

We did a critical patch because it was possible for node editing + undoing all changes to cause a crash, because of the way the geometry sharing system was handling things. The update to 0.9.23 fixed this issue alone.

I found it strange also that there was a suggested update of .23 after I had installed already. I thought perhaps it was an update on some of the issues that had been going on, so i went ahead and clicked on it and updated it, followed the install and finished it out. Are you suggesting the windows 10 graphics driver is making lightburn crash? Wouldnt it have a popup for that , saying something had gone wrong etc? Something similar to the lightburn crash popup? What was determined from the popup in the picture when it crashed before? Sorry, if its alot of questions at once

Oz,
I see you posted there was an update to .9.23 that was a patch to fix crashing during node editing. Am I correct to assume that this patch update was the prompt I received for an update after I had .9.23 installed? Please correct me if I am misunderstanding.

Yes, this is the sequence you experienced.

We released 9.23 April 07, 2021. Then patched that release, 2 days later on April 09, 2021.

1 Like

Ok. Well, this just happened. It had 2 pop ups when it crashed, I was only able to take a pic of the one notice. I took the pic, hit ok, and it shut down before I could take the pic of the second popup. I took 2 pics so you could hopefully see a little of what I was doing in the background. 0421211352|666x500

Can you email this file to support@lightburnsoftware.com so I can have a look at it?

Absolutely! I actually took a picture of what I was doing before the crash, just in case it crashed again so that you would be able to see what I was attempting to do. This pic is of the continents being traced with the pencil tool over top of the original image

Ok, file has been sent!

It wasnt adjusting the nodes on the star. It was actually the rectangle stripe next to it that I was adjusting. It also was very light on nodes. 4 or 8 nodes if I remember correctly. I was literally using it to adjust the length of the rectangle by removing the end and joining the lines to the border. Something I have done hundreds if not thousands of times in node adjustments. If I have to uninstall lightburn completely and reinstall the newest patch version, I’m ok with that. I just dont want to do that if its not going to fix the problem or if I need to keep this version to help figure out why its having issues

I noticed that but went for something which might stress the system some and then noticed how few nodes your images would have… But I spent 20 minutes editing nodes at different places on the complex design without issue.

Too bad it wasn’t easier to have multiple versions of LightBurn on Windows to see if some system update didn’t inject instability. Sounds like you can easily reproduce the crash but it’s not so easy elsewhere. And the LightBurn devs have got their hands full right now. Payback I guess for having so many years of amazing upgrade reliability.

1 Like

I’m a lightburn lover thru and thru! It is 99% all I use. It’s excellent. I havent had any real serious issues until now. Thats why I was wondering if I should just uninstall and then reinstall. Maybe something didnt load correctly or there was a glitch when I installed it or maybe there is old stuff interfering with the new stuff… I dont know…but I didnt want to wipe it out if it was still being checked out. And I’m not sure if i need a security key to reinstall it or not… I’m sure I havent kept that written down anywhere!

1 Like

Thank you for the very kind words. I see you sent the file, the team will evaluate and provide feedback here as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

You may need to re-enter your license key when installing LightBurn, but you can find it using the License Management Portal, accessible from the top menu of the forum. Looking into our systems, I see you used the same email you did for this forum [heritagecustomengraving].

Sorry, @Rick I don’t think I am getting any crash dumps and I am not sure where to find these. I just could not send any files from the mac to the laser anymore. I have gone back to a previous version, it has “solved” it, and I work with that. I am facing a deadline and until then I won’t update Lightburn again to find out what’s wrong. Have you been able to repeat this issue, though?

Repeated and addressed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.