Making Lightburn on Linux work

Here is what I had to do to make Lightburn on Linux work. I’m on Arch Linux with kernel 5.6.15.

An error I encountered was:

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.

after setting export QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 and running LightBurn again, I noticed there were complaints about not being able to find 'libxkbcommon-blah*. The fix was as simple as pacman -S libxkbcommon-x11. On Ubuntu, it would be something like sudo apt-get install libxkbcommon-x11-0

For the developers, I would highly recommend doing a fully static compile or a flatpak/docker container of some sort to make it easier to “launch”. I know most use Windows, but there is a large community behind Linux. Thanks for making a suckless product!

@ishyesh - Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated.
Officially, our supported distros for linux are Ubuntu 16.04+ and Fedora 28+ and, for the most part, that is what our testing is limited to. Anything beyond that can be hit or miss but it covers 98% of our linux user-base. Given the way Qt (the C++ framework we use) is built for linux it can be hit-or-miss sometimes with having things in the right place for everything to work on distros other than those mentioned above.

I’ve actually looked into a docker container, but:

1. due to the direct hardware interaction that is non-trivial (both for us and the end-user)
  2. most of our linux users are actually not the type that would be used to running something like docker

As for static compile - it’s not that easy due to the libraries that we license and use. We would like to some day but that may take some time.

I may look into flatpak / snap again - there were a handful of issues last I checked. But mainly, to be honest, the .run installer or zip file are usually fine for most of the linux users which already represents a very small percentage of the user base. With only 2 developers we have to prioritize our time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.