Metric and imperial library

Hello, I’ve seen that the topic has been talked about years ago, but I haven’t found updates. Is it possible to have imperial and metric libraries mixed? For now I just convert to mm and put the inch number in the descirption.

Before anyone starts saying metric is better, yes, I know, but the 1/8th plywood sheet and the 3/16 acrylic blocks I buy don’t care what you think about how they were built.

The library dynamically converts units between mm and inches based on your UI setting. What it doesn’t do is change your descriptions in case you put units there, however.

Hummm everything I do except thickness is in metric lol

What else are you referring to? Things like speed?

You would need to adjust that in Edit->Settings.

Note that while LightBurn auto-converts units, you’re only ever working in one set of units or another for speed settings. As far as I know, you cannot arbitrarily enter values in different units. Note that you can indicate a unit in the Numeric Edits toolbar to enter values for one set of units while working in another.

My speed, dimensions, spacings shapes, they’re all in metric. I’m only stuck with imperial thicknesses. So for now I think I’ll just suck it up and memorize the equivalencies.

Have you actually tried changing the units in Edit->Settings?

Is this for the Material Library or are you referring to something else?

By and large, there aren’t that many:

• 1/16 inch = 1.6 mm
  • 1/8 inch = 3.2 mm
  • 3/16 inch = 4.7 mm
  • 1/4 inch = 6.3 mm
  • 3/8 inch = 9.5 mm

Lot to lot variations soak up that first decimal place, so going with multiples of 1.5 mm will get you a long way.

Anything thinner is “no thickness” in my Material Library and anything thicker doesn’t cut well on my allegedly 60 W laser without special efforts.

Last stuff I purchased from Lowes was 3/16" sub flooring. It was marked 5mm by the factory stamp… The difference is < 0.3mm. A mm is only 1/25.4 of an inch and you are generally dealing with natural materials that can easily vary by this much with a change in humidity.

I’ve even gotten some cast acrylic that wasn’t exactly right…

If I want any kind of precision, I use the $12 digital calipers from Amazon… All of these vary…

:smile_cat:

LOL! I love your solution for increasing precision :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.