Minimum power setting

Is there a way to set minimum power when using Marlin? Max works fine, but min is greyed out. I would like to define minimum power just below the S value required to turn on my laser (17 in my case), not 0.

It’s looking like GRBL would be a better choice, but I’m hoping to stick with my existing Marlin setup if possible.

Thanks for any info.

I do not know of a way to do this in either Marlin OR Grbl. You can do it with Smoothieware, and I think GRBL 1.1h now has a setting for this, but in both Smoo and GRBL they’re global configuration values, not a per-cut setting like you get with DSP controllers.

Is there a reason the minimum power setting is greyed out for Marlin, though? I was imagining that LightBurn would map each pixel in the source image to the output range [MIN, MAX] instead of [0, MAX].

For example, let’s say I have Max Power set to 40%. If I’m understanding correctly, a pixel with a black level of n (out of 255) will be mapped to a power level of S=0.4n. If my laser doesn’t turn until 7% (S18), that means all black levels below 45 will be clipped. I can fix this by shifting levels in the source image, but I was curious if there’s a way to do it with LightBurn. It seems like it could be done by setting:
S = n/255 * (S_MAX - S_MIN) + S_MIN

You can do it when using grayscale mode, and it behaves exactly as you say. Line mode and the different dither modes are just on/off though, so there is no min power used. With DSP controllers, the Min Power setting on lines controls the lowest power the machine uses during a cutting move, when cornering. GCode devices do not have the ability for me to set this.

Oops, I hadn’t tried greyscale mode. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.