Missing Constant power mode selection in settings

The constant power option is missing from my Cut Settings window. My laser is a SainSmart 5W Diode on a Genmitsu 3018 Pro which has a GRBL controller. When running in LaserGRBL, I get much better cuts than in Lightburn. I really would like to be able to make this work as I understand it is much better software.

You may have found the same stumbling block I did as I was getting started. I had LightBurn set in mm/second and it should have been mm/minute. You may be attempting to engrave 60x faster in LightBurn.

LaserGRBL won’t allow the mm/second setting.

A 3018 has lower maximum speeds because of the lead screws.

When the laser engraver is pushing beyond its Max rate, power drops to make up for the shortfall in the commanded speed. Constant Power hides this but it’s a feature of Earlier controllers.

If your 3018 is a few years old and uses the earlier version of GRBL the constant power option may be available to you. You could attempt to build a Device Profile with GRBL-M3 but I’m fairly certain that this is not the best way to proceed.

When you connect to your 3018 Pro, the engraver sends a message to LightBurn. You’ll find it in the Console window in LightBurn, Please select and copy the text from there and paste it into a reply here.

Thanks for the reply, it is definitely set to mm/min . The machine is less than a year old, I got it at Christmas last year. Here is the connection message. …

Waiting for connection…
Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]
[MSG:‘$H’|‘$X’ to unlock]
[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]
ok
[VER:1.1f.20170801:]
[OPT:V,15,128]
Target buffer size found
ok
Homing
ok

The device is currently set to GRBL-M3 1.1e or earlier. Since this is 1.1f, I’ll try setting it the plain GRBL device type and see if that helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.