Missing pieces of letters

Hello LightBurn forum,
A quick question I have just downloaded the trial software and everything seems ok with the exception to some of the letters I’m using to test the software. It seems some of the pieces to some of the letters are missing is there something I’m doing wrong or is it because I have not purchased the license yet.
Thanks Don

There is no difference between the trial and a licensed version other than the time limit.

Please show us what you mean by “…everything seems ok with the exception to some of the letters I’m using to test the software.”

I hope this post correctly.the wood is smoother than it looks, but you can see it skipped pieces of every letter except the S.
Thanks Don

Do you have ‘Flood fill’ enabled for this? Can you show the settings, and what it looks like in the preview?

1 Like

Yes flood fill is enabled

Flood fill is not recommended for about 95% of the stuff you’ll probably try to use it for, so turn it off unless you desperately need it. It bounces around a lot, and unless the machine is really well tuned and dialed in mechanically, it will leave small gaps where the engraving lines don’t quite meet, because of backlash or looseness in the machine.

Instead, use ‘Fill shapes individually’, and go to Edit > Device Settings and turn on Fast Whitespace (and give it a speed to use). That will help keep the engraving speed up without producing gaps like this.

Honestly, for the file you’re showing here, it’ll almost certainly be faster to use ‘Fill all shapes at once’, because there isn’t much space between the shapes. Flood fill or fill individually means the laser is constantly slowing down and changing direction, where using “fill all shapes at once” travels across the whole design in one sweep, so it’s “at speed” for more time. Those direction changes are expensive, so play with the different settings and get a feel for when you actually need them.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.