Most Wanted Features

Great job on 0.9.03 guys!

I’ve been using the latest version for a few days, all-day, and this is my ordered list of most-wanted “features” that would be awesome to see in the next versions. These are all in fider.io already and are just things that I find are conspicuously missing from LightBurn. Nothing glitzy at all – just stuff that makes things go faster with less clicking/thinking.

1. Group levels with double-click to step in, [ESC] to step out like Illustrator and Inkscape.
  2. Right-click context menus.
  3. Objects can snap to each other on corners, vertices, centers, etc. Inkscape does this very well, but even Illustrator-style would do. Turn on snap (or hold down a modifier – or both) grab an object and move it until it snaps where you want.
  4. Objects “off the table” are ignored for cutting. Just like how Inkscape and Illustrator let you position objects off the page and when you print only the items on the “page” get printed.

What do you think should be in the next versions?

We have a whole site for posting feature requests here: http://lightburn.fider.io

Post single suggestions at a time, and other users can vote on those to help us prioritize development and properly track the requests.

This one gets asked for occasionally, but it gets fuzzy if an object is partially within frame. Should we clip the object to the frame? If the object is a closed shape, do we cut along the frame boundary, or leave the shape open?

“off the table” objects are easily resolved by the creator. Select them, drop them on a different layer and set output to off. I suppose one could engineer into the program a “dead zone” with different shading or an outline to represent that feature. That would possible reduce the possibility of losing layer parameters (forgetting) while disabling output. I’d bet this would be a pretty low priority feature.

We have a whole site for posting feature requests here: http://lightburn.fider.io
Post single suggestions at a time, and other users can vote on those to help us prioritize development and properly track the requests.

Yes, I mentioned that. This is a prioritized list of (IMHO) essential missing features.

The developers are picking and choosing what to develop. Here’s a list of essential, non-gimmicky features a paying user that uses the software daily feels is important.

This one gets asked for occasionally, but it gets fuzzy if an object is partially within frame. Should we clip the object to the frame? If the object is a closed shape, do we cut along the frame boundary, or leave the shape open?

That’s not fuzzy at all. Pick something and stick to it. The user can see where the table is – if they don’t want problems then don’t have anything run off the table. This is a non-issue.

“off the table” objects are easily resolved by the creator. Select them, drop them on a different layer and set output to off.

Simply ignoring objects that are off the table makes intuitive sense and requires zero effort. Plus you lose all of the cut information and have to go back and manually re-do them. That works on simple jobs but when you have large jobs with hundreds of objects with cutting, marking, and engraving it’s not feasible and you end up cutting-and-pasting between multiple files (and making mistakes).

Again, great work guys. I know this is new software and I’m happy to be a part of it.

I would be interested to hear what other users feel is an essential missing feature.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.