Multiple Pass Cuts

I’m hoping it’s just a setting I’m not understanding, I’m hoping you can help me figure out how to do what I want.

So I’ve imported a BMP of a truck and have all my burn settings dialed in where I’m happy with them and they don’t scorch. So I used the line tool and I’ve drawn the cutout lines around the truck and I’m dialing in my speed and power so I can go through the Baltic Birch in multiple passes, also without scorching. I think I have the speed and power dialed in, but when I click the option to do multiple cut passes, the laser is only going about 3-4" of the outline then goes back to the beginning and does the same 3-4" x number of times, burns the next 3-4" then goes back does that 3-4" yet again…all the way around the artwork. Because it’s going over the same short 3-4" x-number of times it’s burning the wood. What I want the laser to do is go all the way around the artwork in one pass, then repeat the cut x-number of times. I’m hoping that the wood cools off enough that the 2nd and subsequent passes won’t burn like it does when doing 3-4" sections…

What am I doing wrong?

I would venture to guess the path you have created as your outline is made up of a series of 3 - 4" segments and not a continuous path. Try to close this path into a single, connected path. Select all segments using ‘Select open shapes’ for that layer and select Auto-Join (Alt-J) to close. A closed path will be completed prior to running the subsequent passes.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll try that tonight…I tried grouping them thinking that would do it…I wouldn’t have thought of Auto-Join.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.