My laser don't recognize work area

that bit seemed completely obvious to me :blush: but the set up really didn’t want to play

i still have no comprehension as to why the neje finally felt inclined to co-operate; since then i have had nothing but positive experience

To me the problem with origin is that there’s no way to know just by looking at the physical aspects of the machine or basically in any documentation where the manufacture has decided to place 0,0. Especially since it’s not tied to homing location.

And then from a user perspective it’s not obvious how setting origin would cause controls and burns to not work as expected. There doesn’t seem to be a direct and obvious connection between the two.

The workspace area is well documented in all marketing material and user manuals for the device and is literally measurable. If your workspace in LB is smaller than your actual laser frame it would be become rapidly apparent that you’re not addressing the whole space. It’s more directly correlated, at least in my estimation. If you had the reverse situation where the workspace was larger than your frame then you’d run into issues that are less understandable.

my experience were with a neje master 2s, whereas the op has an ortur i see

but my machine did exactly the same thing - ran to a limit and then made bad noises binding as it tried to push even further

my experience was complicated by the fact that the laser module was a larger one that the frame initially supplied (even though it is a component on the current release), and thus the defined 170x170mm area will have the laser hit the frame before it can get to the spot defined as origin by those parameters

why mine finally “took” made no diagnostic sense, as the process to set it up was repeated many times with no such outcome

from experience flashing firmware, i presumed that somehow the initial response of the neje on the startup routine failed to recognise the parameters

i don’t know if that is so, but i know full well from using flashing tools that sometimes despite following the correct flashing process, the recipient board refuses to listen, and presumed that maybe that was possible

but i’m not a rocket surgeon :thinking:

I’ve heard of people having to change origin a couple of times for it to take. But nothing in the device settings screen is written to the device itself. It’s all application level. So workspace size is all about LightBurn’s understanding of size. And hopefully this correlates to the defined size within GRBL configuration which stores its own understanding of XY dimensions.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.