My white tile engraving struggle

I got my Ortur 7 watt laser about a year ago. Did some wood burning and got pretty good at it. Then I watched a video on how to engrave white tile. Did all the steps to fine tune the laser dot and did many test runs. Finally the big day to burn a photo of my wife and I. It came out really good. Did a couple more, but wanted to be able to burn images faster. So, I bought an Ortur 15 watt module. That’s when it all went down hill. So, I watched many videos, got help from this forum, but I just could not get it to output anything close to the one I did with the 7 watt. Just gave up on white tile and went back to wood burning. A year later and after going through 100 plus white tiles, I decided to give it another go. Spent several days fine tuning and got the smallest dot ever with the 15 watt. Many tests and more tiles for the trash can. Then I decided to put the 7 watt mod back on and spent about 30 minutes to get the smallest dot I could get, which could not really see the difference between the 15 and 7 watt size. Well, I imported the same photo I tried with the 15 watt and same settings and went for it . . . Prefect! Now why did a lesser wattage mod do the prefect output? Thanhs for taking the time to read this.

I will be very glad to hear the solution to your problem as well since my white tiles are less than impressive also.

Unfortunately here it is less is more! What that means is the lower power is actually what you want when doing the white tile method. You are trying to fuse the titanium oxide that is in the white paint with the glaze of the tile. The best results will come from the lowest power not the highest power and the lower travel speed not the higher speed. I know this all seems counterintuitive when using a laser but you’re actually using it in a different way than what we think of using a laser for.

Excellent points. However, not really “unfortunate” unless you have a 100W laser. You can dial back the power on the 30W diode and you should be able to get decent results. I was amazed at the range tolerance of the white paint exposure levels. If you’re trying to do a photo with gray scale, then the settings become trickier, but I’ve done that successfully with my K40.

1 Like

Makes sense however, with the 15 watt I tried to dial it down, but anything under 80% @ 800 mm/m would not even mark the paint. Anyway, thanks for you input and when I remount the 15 watt I’ll revisit my settings. In the mean time the 7 watt is king.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.