N40630 no cutting ability!

$9 is pretty low cost…

I’m sorry, I don’t have any more suggestions at my end…

Lets see it @berainlb has any suggestions they may assist at this point… he’s been rather quiet.

:smile_cat:

1 Like

I must only thank you for all the help you have gave me, if it’s not too much to ask is it possible for you too give me a little list of types of wood you usually use with this module? :muscle:t2:

With this machine I usually just do easy to engrave wood like basswood. Mostly tile so far with this one.

I do most of my work with the co2 laser …

Good luck

Atm i have no space or funds for a co2 laser cutter, and i find that the 30x20 area on most K40 kits is quite small for the price and gamble they are :smile:

1 Like

Material difference can have dramatic effects so don’t underestimate this factor. Not just moisture but material content as well. Adhesive content will also make a big difference. Natural woods may actually be easier to compare if you can get like for like species.

Your balsa numbers don’t seem bad to me but not sure what Neje claim in that regard.

I don’t have much else to offer in terms of what’s going on with the escaping light. It would be nice if you could reclaim it since you’re likely losing power from that.

Perhaps swapping in a new lens could help.

They claim MDF and plywood up to 8mm thick, black acrilic up to 5mm thick

This module supposedly cuts about 8mm, since I was able to cut a clean cut on 14mm balsa, I’m more inclined to wood problems rather than laser problems at this point

Laser light subject… I have a Sainsmart 5.5w laser that does the same thing, only the side lobes are not nearly as focused. Problem did not exist until I took the focuser apart, to lock down the lens (it was supposed to be tight on the focuser threaded sleeve), Everything fell apart and I was not sure about the proper assembly (positioning of the components). Sainsmart was befuddled too and sold me a new laser at half price. I think there is a magic method to putting that thing back together.

Tenía ese láser y pasé al A40630. El N está pensado para hacer grabados pero una configuración muy buena de corte para mdf de 3mm es 7 pasadas a 350 mm/m a 90% de poder del láser. Es la mejor que pude encontrar después de mucho probar con este láser nuevo. Prueba con 5 pasadas a 300 y de ahí modifica los valores. Otra recomendación, si tu material de corte es de 3mm, pon algo que sea de 1,5 o 2 mm y centra el punto láser ahí, luego lo quitas y pones el material a cortar, eso hace bastante la diferencia. Saludos y disculpa si no escribo en inglés.

I had that laser and moved on to the A40630. The N is designed for engraving but a very good cutting configuration for 3mm mdf is 7 passes at 350mm/m at 90% laser power. It is the best I could find after much testing with this new laser. Try 5 passes at 300 and from there modify the values. Another recommendation, if your cutting material is 3mm, put something that is 1.5 or 2mm and center the laser point there, then remove it and put the material to be cut, that makes quite a difference. Greetings and sorry if I do not write in English.

No problem friend.
We’ll add inline translations/transliterations where we can to keep the discussion moving.

@berainlb @jkwilborn @Fgk1407 @MikeyH

Thank you guys for all the help so far!

Today I picked up some 3mm birch plywood that my friend had, he cutted a square in it with his Atomstack A5 Pro with 5.5w output 1 pass at 260mm/min the piece fell right through.
I brought a sheet home and started testing and I notice that at 100% my burn line is much wider and darked than the one he made and from this picture (not an expert at all here) i seem to have a lot of light escaping and not beaming the spot.

This is all escaping light since the laser was 2 passes in.

I’ve cleaned and recleaned the lenses and even placed PTFE tape to prevent the lens to wooble

These were the results at diff speeds and number of passes

At this point if cutting is a priority for you I’d suggest trying a different lens and barrel or replacing the module.

I’ve ordered a replacement lens it was less than 10€ and it’s worth the try, but for the replacement module I think a A40640 is nice but the sale on it only lasts until 16/01 and I don’t wanna commit 250€ if the lenses fix the problem :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

This photos are from the dot through the red window with nothing and with a black paper, the black paper completely absorbs the escaping light leaving a perfect tiny dot but without it the light seems to spread alot

I’m about to call quits on this and try only after the lenses arrive… only god knows when from Neje Shop…

And this is what I see when working. Note: i just placed the red window in front of the camera so I could show you what I see.

The laser is at 20% against a wall with a board about 20cm away

That definitely looks like a problem. I’m almost wondering if the diode array has come loose or something.

1 Like

@berainlb has a point… I’ve been thinking this as I’ve seen a number of these seemingly fail because of internal alignment issues… At least that’s what the owners claimed …

Have you ever done a ramp test with this laser to ensure it’s doing what’s expected?

1 Like

Yes I’ve done a ramp test back in the day and it was all fine. And usually when ppl test lasers against a wall or so, they can only see the diode shape square or rectangular in this case I see the rectangle and a faded circle around it plus the reflexes on the sides…

New lens ordered let’s see… if that doesn’t work new A40640 incoming… because Neje despite being very bad at support they are the ones that sell only the laser module because I don’t need frames or boards…

Be aware that pretty much all the manufacturers that have come up recently sell standalone modules:

• Neje
  • Ortur
  • Atomstack
  • Sculpfun
  • xTool
  • TwoTrees
  • Comgrow
  • etc.
1 Like

I’ve tried to find on official website of the different brands but I couldn’t find standalone modules and gambling on AliExpress wasn’t really my idea

Hi, have you tied a ramp test, will sort your true focus out in a couple of minutes