Need assist is settings

I have a 50 watt Chinese laser Peenex, with a Ruida controller, I am trying to cut through 1/8 inch prefinished plywood. I am running it at 85% power, 1/2 inch per sec, 4 passes and am not cutting through. Could someone give me some guidance on settings to use to cut through.

Thanks
Bob

Have you done a ramp test or anything to determine the best focus point for your lens? The speed & power you’re using should be fine - maybe slightly quick, but you’re close.

Thanks Oz, glad to know I’m close. I am using the guide the manufacturer sent to set my focal length. I watched the Ramp test you sent and will be doing this soon. At least I’m close, thanks again

Bob

Just an FYI, I have a 50W home build and cut 5mm ply at 650mm/min at 80% (15mA) single pass. I actually don’t seem to find multiple passes make much difference if I try and go faster for a better edge. May be the soot gets in the way even with air assist?
I have also used some 5mm flooring ply that was very tough to cut through what ever I tried and actually this varied over the piece with some parts cutting straight through, others needing to be broken away.

Cheers

David

I run my air assist around 30psi when cutting…

Wow, that’s high. I am running mine at about 0.15bar or about 2psi measured at the nozzle. Just enough to keep any flare at bay. Do you find that if you don’t have this sort of pressure you can’t cut as well?

Cheers

David

I did…and I discovered it by accident.

Well I might try that this weekend. I have a project with 5.3mm plywood so we’ll see.

Cheers

David

Found out my problem. It will cut through 1/8 Baltic birch fine, no problem. I was trying to use a pre finished what I thought was plywood but is actually cardboard with a veneer face and it will not cut through for some reason. Going back to the Baltic birch.

Bob

And yo were right! Winding my flow controller all the way out did give me more effective cutting through the ply and a better edge as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.