Need help using Lightburn

Hi I have an Ortur laser and have been struggling to get my head around how to use Lightburn. I have done a bit but finding it diffucult to understand how to actually use it properly. I have a number of projects I am working on that have all been shelved because I haven’t been able to do what seems to be the simplest of jobs. I am in London, Is there anyone who can do a one on one with me and show me how to use Lightburn? I can pay you for your time. Thank you, Kenny

Hello my friend, you can watch many educational videos of Lightburn on YouTube :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks but no disrespect, I’ve watched loads of videos and none of them answer the issues I have. I’ve managed to do the very basic operations but there are specific things I need to do that I have not found an answer to on youtube. Any other ideas appreciated.

Thanks again, Kenny

Which are? If you explain and show specific examples, we might be able to provide specific responses and help you achieve what you are after. :slight_smile:

If you haven’t already, this is worth review. It is a Simple Project, design to offer a good overview of the basic operations of LightBurn: Your First Project - LightBurn Software Documentation

Hi Rick thanks for your reply. Basically I make things out of wood that I would like to personalise by engraving a name or logo onto them. For example I make a pencil case that I would like to engrave an outline of a pencil with a name inside it on the lid of the case. So I would need to be able to group the name and logo together as one. I also need to learn how to position the laser at the start point on the work piece and be able to save that position for repeat runs. That’s for starters, I hope I’ve used terminology that is clear enough and that I don’t come over as a bit thick! Look forward to your reply, many thanks, Kenny

You are doing fine, no worries. I will ask that you read the documentation we provide, as every question you ask is covered there. :slight_smile:

Grouping

When you create shapes in LightBurn, they’re independent of other shapes you create. Sometimes it’s handy to be able to treat a collection of things as a single unit, to make sure they keep their relative position and size when you’re moving them around. In LightBurn, this is called a Group. If you select two or more shapes and click the ‘Group’ button (), or press Ctrl+G, you’ll create a new object that contains the original shapes. To un-group the objects so you can edit the individual parts, select a group of shapes and click the un-group button (), or Ctrl+U. - Basic Usage: The Essentials - LightBurn Software Documentation

LightBurn provides several options for managing this type of workflow. By design, you can almost always find a few ways to accomplish a given task. Once you have things as you’d like, your art, the cut settings, origin for the job and the like, ‘Save’ the file. All important information for successfully running that job again are stored for future use. Next time you want to run that job, just ‘Open’ that saved file, and it is ready to use.

LightBurn provides a set of tools designed to be used in combination, and when fully leveraged, can significantly help simplify and manage the most complex of tasks and workflows. It just takes a little time, learning these new tools and getting familiar with how they work. We offer the documentation, our YouTube Tutorial and How-To’s channel, and this forum to help you learn.

For this specific task, you will want to review this section:

Start From / Job Origin

These two controls affect where the job is placed on the bed of your laser. Please read the Coordinates and Job Origin page for details on the different modes, and how they affect the placement of your job.

With this understanding, many will then create “jigs” or cutout fixtures to hold-in-place, the materials they are lasing. Cardboard is great for this. Cut out a shape just a tad larger than the material you are working, even include a finger tab to help when swapping parts. This helps with repeatability during multi-part runs.

You also have the ability to “save and recall” specific locations, such as the zeroing point of a jig.

Move Window

The Saved Positions drop-down displays a list of previously stored positions. This can be useful for jogging to known locations on the work area, like a specific corner, the location of your rotary tool, commonly used jigs, and so on. You can manage the contents of this list by clicking the Manage button on the right. - Redirecting...

LightBurn provides the ‘Materials Library’ as a way to store your known good ‘Cut Settings’ for a particular material. More goodies to assist with repeatability. :wink:

Material Library

LightBurn’s Material Library provides a way to store and organize lots of presets for different operations on different materials, and have a way to quickly apply them. This is entirely user-generated - You set up a cut layer however you like and save it to a Library. You set a material type, thickness (if appropriate), and a short description. https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/NewDocs/MaterialLibrary.html

We have library support for your Artwork as well: Redirecting...

You can even add some ‘Variable Text’ to serialize each piece in a set. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Rick that’s great, I’ll give it a go.

Kenny

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.