'New' 32 bit board - anyone try it?

Mailed you John, many thanks.

Lets hope this thread is still alive… I run an MKS DLC V2 (8 bit) board in my K40 Clone machine in a long winded sort of way having butchered grbl to suit my needs and control the laser with a 5v relay. Not Ideal but it does work as the pwm signal is stripped from power on signal since it needs to be pulled to ground. Its clunky and clicky but works.

I was offered the new MKS DLC32 and screen for £20 so I bought it. My Machine has been in a state of rebuild for over a year now and its getting close to the time to wire everything back up and I think I read that Laurence may have these boards and has tried tinkering with them. If so do you have any wiring diags to help with the laser fire side of the board as I should be able to just copy most my working grbl settings over to the dlc32 config file once I can get the laser to fire and pwm.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help / ideas

Chris

The K40 LPS is active LOW and most every 3DP board controls the ground. That is why on the Smoothieboards, etc you grab a hotend or heatbed control and only connect the low side of the connector to the L signal on the LPS.

BTW, it’s very common to control the low side/ground instead of positive side of signals because the parts are less expensive. It was years ago when I saw my first circuit which was using low control logic instead of high control logic. See it all over the place now.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, battling illness at the moment and not spending a lot of time on the web.
I’ll have a look at the wiring later and post my configuration.

FWIW out of the two boards I received the first had a USB input fault on the connector.
The second I assumed to be faulty but it turns out that it was a faulty TWO batches of drv8825 drivers! Not only that I had bought them weeks apart and from different suppliers - obviously same factory with zero quality control.

having supplied the board with some ar4988 drivers it runs sweet I have to say and renders grayscale quicker than 8 bit, as you would expect.
At this stage it’s recommended.

this thread, with pictures and diagrams might help in understanding how you don’t need a relay to turn a K40 LPS on/off with PWM: K40 mks base 1.3 pwm regulation question - #8 by donkjr - K40 Laser - Maker Forums

In GRBL ESP32 you can invert the pwm by using a #define INVERT_SPINDLE_PWM On statement in the machine.h file to cope with this feature of 3d printer boards

Cheers John :wink:

cheers @DougL I have not had a chance to get into this as a massive family problem has stopped me stone dead in my tracks. (health problems with my elderly mother) If it is as easy as taking L to pwm (-) from hotend things should be easier to buttom up if and when I get back to completing the build. cheers again. I need to get this project finnished.

1 Like

When I replaced my m2nano with a 3d printer board it was indeed as simple as L to hotbed negative, I was most amazed at the simplicity

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.