New Guy/New Laser/New Computers/Newbie Questions,

Hello, and Greetings,
As the title suggests, I/we are new at ALL of this, and our apologies in advance if we’re approaching this incorrectly.
We are “crashing” into this as a business venture that we’re in the process of building. We’ve received and assembled the xTool D1 w/Rotary (10w) and we have a number of Linux towers and Laptops and Tablets and ‘Mini-Tablets’ to work with. ALL running Linux Mint, iirc.

Please excuse my idiotic question here, but to start with, I’m simply looking for ‘system requirements’ to download the LightBurn onto, so-as-to know from the get-go which computer to use, to start?

Now, either it will work on any/all/every computer in existence, or that information is just hiding someplace that I can’t-for-the-life-of-me find.

And because the ‘final outcome’ of this startup process is SO important to us, I/we just don’t want to do the wrong thing from the get-go and make a mistake that can cause other issues down the line.

I know what I don’t know, so therefore I know that I don’t know this yet, and have to ask. Having personal memory issues also complicates matters for me, so please bear with me.

Thank You, and Merry Christmas

FWIW, I just found this:
64 bit Linux (Ubuntu 16+ or Fedora 28+, anything else may not work as intended).

as per here: Installing Lightburn - LightBurn Software Documentation

Now I have to find out whether what I have “Mint” is as good as, better than, or less than, those requirements.

Welcome aboard…

I think Lightburn was pretty much designed to run on a ‘low cost’ platform. It’s supported on Windows, Mac and Linux. I run it on Ubuntu. It works well on all platforms. Some issues with USB on Macs now and then. There are others running Mint, also, as I’ve read a few posts.

My system is a home built i5, so it’s not new, by any means.

When you get your equipment, make a backup of the configuration…

Good luck…

:smiley_cat:

Mint is derived from Ubuntu and others are using it. You should be good to go there assuming you have 64-bit.

Thank you both for your replies, now I gotta go search into that machine to find out how many bits it has.

Why? You can’t really change it… :crazy_face:

That is usually based on the type of processor and it’s ability to generate pwm…usually…

I have very good experiences with LightBurn on Linux Mint, except for the use of a camera, at the same time as LB.
I have several machines / profiles running everything running over lan (Ruida) or usb (K40 and Eleksmaker 5.5W), soft, fine and without problems.
But it might be a good idea to hear Adam @ LightBurn what he recommends as the “best” distro for LightBurn.

I forgot to write that it is a reasonably old (at least 12 years) Dell desktop computer with 4gb ram, but still a 64bit machine. And, only LightBurn runs on this work computer!

1 Like

Realistically if the computer is less than 10 years old it will likely be 64-bit.

OK, we’ve made progress so far…
My Lady stepped in, after 3 hours of my trying, and then I walked away. It was either that, or smash something.
So, she was able to re-align the planets and got LightBurn installed into the Linux laptop that she’s going to be using for this Laser. Progress.
But now, the laptop/program is not seeing the laser (xTool D1).

She googled that, and was told to ‘install the drivers’… except since we’re using Linux, we can’t do that.

Or is there some magical method of doing such? I’ll say this though, she’s gotten us to the point where she could turn the switch on, the fan runs, and the laser ‘cross-hairs’ are showing on the counter-top.

Yes, we definitely prefer to use Linux. Question is, how do we get this program “LightBurn” to see the xTools D1 laser?

To go further, and/or add fuel to the fire, we’re trying to “add laser” using : LightBurn will open the New Device Wizard, and the first thing you’ll see is a list of the controllers supported by your version of LightBurn:"

Except the list that is given, does NOT have xTool D1 on it. Or anything xTool, for that matter. So there is nothing to choose, unless anyone here can tell me that one of the options given will ‘fool/mirror/imitate/whatever’ the program to magically see the laser?

Am I barking up the wrong tree, or am I barking mad?

OK, please bear with me, and definitely correct me if I’m wrong, but the issue at the moment is ‘firmware’.
We’re on a linux computer. We’re running LightBurn. How do we make LightBurn see/recognize the xTools D1 w/Rotary (or do we leave that for later?) unit if it isn’t on the list? We don’t have the ability to install the ‘firmware’ because we’re not using Windows.

Linux probably has the ‘module’ (Linux for driver) already, as it’s really a generic USB connection.

You should be able to do a ‘lsusb’ and see the controller. Clueless on what it’s supposed to say, but if it’s there you should see it.

You can always disconnect it, do the ‘lsusb’, reconnect and find the new one.

After you plug it in, the following, should the last entry

‘sudo dmesg | tail’

Will give you the last few lines and should help identify the device.

You need to be in the group that has access to the /dev/…whatever

Here is a ‘mint’ guide on using lsusb, if it’s not already installed on your system.

I found this video How to configure LightBurn for D1? – xtool that walks through the setup of LightBurn for the D1. It’s based on Windows but some takeaways:

1. The first thing they do is update the firmware. It seems you need at least version V1.1.0 B3 for LightBurn support
  2. You can update three 3 separate ways How to upgrade the firmware of D1 ? – xtool
    2a) from Laserbox (win and mac)
    2b) Windows update tool
    2c) Mac upgrade instructions
    The Mac instructions seem like they could work in Linux as it looks like a python script and python module but may be easier to use one of the first two methods if they’re available to you.
  3. There’s a link to a LightBurn Device configuration file here: https://support.xtool.com/hc/article_attachments/4414379634455/xTool_D1.lbdev
    You can load this during device configuration

Here are additional relevant links:
Laserbox software download – xtool
LighrBurn-For experienced laser users – xtool

Hello all, and thank you all for your input.

I am not a computerologist, nor am I interested/inclined to re-write the encyclopedia brittanica of code and whatnot. (in other words, I’m not adept enough to know what the heck I’m doing)

Just to actually make some progress and get somewhere, I have gotten another computer that is ‘windows’ just to get this laser up and running, and to actually start something.

As you can probably guess, this is out of complete sheer and utter frustration.

So, we’re still in the test-phase of setup and whatnot, and have gotten as far as the ‘rotary attachment’. Maybe my mind is too simplistic, but I can’t for the life-of-me yet figure out how to ‘rotate’ the image/project 90 degrees.

Obviously literally turning the rotary device is not the answer, because of the x coordinates and whatnot.

There’s gotta be a simple way, and I’m sure it’s probably something as easy as ‘you could just click here…’ but I haven’t found the ‘here’ yet.

And yes, it has taken me/us all day, to get to this point. But hey, we’re actually AT this point, which is a far cry better than yesterday. Again, thank you all.

So short of turning my monitor on it’s side, how do I rotate the image?

Merry Christmas

Sean

Yes yes yes yes yesyesyesyes… THANK YOU.

I haven’t found THAT information anywhere yet, you saved my life. Good job.
:smiley:

OK, my bad. I didn’t realize the ‘one question per thread’ thing, I was just going off on a tangent.
My thank to all the responders and input. I’m not ‘finished’ with all this yet, per se, I’m just trying to get up and running then I’ll come back and tweak it all.

At least, that’s my intent at the moment.

You can also grab one of the corner ‘curved arrows’ and ‘drag’ it around. With the Shift key it steps.

1 Like

That’s why I mentioned the shift key. It ‘snaps’ to different angles, and one of those is at the 90 deg. I’ve come accustomed to using the mouse to drag stuff around. The mouse is in my hand more than the keyboard.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.