New Ortur 10W Output laser suddenly very weak (LU2-10A, Ortur LM2PS2)

Note this is the 10W one, the LU2-10A, which uses two 5W output diodes to achieve the 10W output. Just to be sure you looked at the right laser’s specs.

Again I’m not super knowledgeable on this, but the first thing I did when this happened was inspect the pins and see if I could make sense of them.

The 3 pin has one 24V like you said. A 5 pin cable comes out of the interface board to connect to the laser module, and two of that connectors pins are marked 24V on the board.

Yes. The original 3A figure is based on the 10W unit. I was only speculating about the 5W unit because that’s what came with the laser originally. So the laser equipped with a laser module requiring 2A is shipped with a power supply capable of 2A.

Is that right? I assume these are redundant. You could check by putting your meter to continuity mode or ohms mode. If you get continuity or 0 ohms when touching those pins then they’re effective the same.

Problem could just be the plywood.
Plywood cutting speeds and power vary from sheet to sheet depending on its internal layers due to knots , glue , hardness of layers and grain in the types of wood used in its construction.
Sometimes you may find that half a sheet cuts fine in one area but when it passed over an internal join in the inner layer the cut can become intermittent due to the change in the hardness or presence of knots in the internal layers.
I use laser ply for my projects but still have to get out the craft knife now and then to cut through the odd knot in the internal layer.
I have even found plastic tape in the inside of ply.
My solution is to use minimum of two cuts at slightly slower speeds for a good finish.

I think the performance drop is far too drastic and repeatable to blame on the wood, especially when its only 1.5mm thick.
I performed the same tests on a dozen sheets or so, cutting squares at different speeds and powers. Now its approaching a 50% decrease, my method was hardly scientific but id say thats significant.

at the start of the week it cut through without issue, pieces literally fell out when i tried to pick it up. At the same speeds and powers now, it doesnt even come close. Even visually the laser appears less bright.

After more research, sad fact of the matter is its depressingly commong for diode laser modules like my one to have a life expectancy of just 10-20 hours at 90-100% power before output drops off and they deteriorate. Thankfully, ortur honored their warranty and replaced mine.

When my next one arrives, ill be experimenting with a DIY improved cooling solution using some CPU heatsinks i have lying around, in hopes of preserving it longer. Ill also be using it at 75% power at most for the same reason.

Long term, though, i am hoping to find an affordable option for a better laser module that will guarantee a 2+ year service life and ideally more power, too.
Ill have to research Co2 lasers a bit, see if they are feasible. Ideally something i can attach to my Ortur’s gantry.

I think this will depend on your definition of “affordable” and “guarantee”.

Going to CO2 will require quite a bit more structure. At that point, trying to leverage your existing frame may be impractical and hold you back although I’m sure you could repurpose the extrusions and fittings if you kept the design small.

1 Like

Affordable for me would be under $1000CDN.
Guarantee would mean it stays above 10W output for 2/3 years, assuming i maintain it however necessary. The way i understand it, most diode lasers are predisposed to early failure/degradation by default, and i hope something exists that isnt.
Anything that has a claimed, backed up service life

In the little time ive had this diode i can already see the immense potential for making things with a machine like this, so im prepared to drop money on one i know will work reliably for longer. I’m not very familiar with the requirements of running a Co2 laser, so i don’t know if this is a realistic goal for my price range. I know the OMtech K40 is close to that price, and ive seen a Co2 laser kit on Endurance lasers that was supposedly compatible with my ortur frame, also around $1000, a bit more.

My very ideal goal is to be able to cut 6mm plywood at say 400-500mm/min in one pass, but really if the output is more than my current 10W and reliably stays that way for years, I’d be very happy.

that being said, I fully expect ill have to cope with the performance limits of my machine for a while if i want to save the money to invest in something powerful and reliable that will actually do what I need.
Have you worked with Co2 lasers before? if you’re able to share, id be grateful to know what extra cost, labour and precautions come bundled with a Co2 laser. I’ll start researching today

Just looked up the Endurance kit. It’s clever but looks quite half baked to me and requires quite a bit of additional parts to get it to work, especially the tube. At the cost you still have quite a bit of work to do to get it well sorted.

Seems you could get a K40 style with upgraded controller for less.

This will be mostly about duty cycle. Lasers both diode and CO2 will work reliably for a long time within a range of duty cyles… when exceeded the lifespan drops dramatically. Go low and slow if you want it to last. Driving harder requires more provisions for heat. CO2 lasers degrade with use by function, it’s unavoidable and necessary for how it works. However, if you work within the limits they should last the advertised times.

The biggest shift from diode lasers will be in the cooling requirements. CO2 lasers must be actively liquid cooled. Additionally, since CO2 lasers allow for better cutting, they will generate more fumes which need to be evacuated. Also, since CO2 light is not visible and higher energy, you need the proper safety precautions to avoid injury.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, if i got a K40 I’d definitely want to modify it to increase the work area. my Ortur’s 40x40cm seems like a great balance for me, I’d want to get something the same size. I think i’ll be able to figure out fumes and cooling.

In the meantime, i’ll have to do what i can to make the next diode last longer. Thanks for your help

Look at sculpfun s10 10w with air assist laser module.
The module is available as a separate unit in uk the complete kit is £259.
I use the s9 with air assist and it’s used daily cutting at 100% power with no hassle for 6 months.
I am just waiting for sculpfun to bring out a 20w unit.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.