New to laser engraving with one problem

Built my printer, installed Lightburn, was able to get it together until I tried to engrave the image. The image was to be approximately 20mm by 100mm, but when I started the engraving it was in excess of 2 ft long. Did I miss a setting or did I just plain do something else wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Click on your image to select it and then look at the width and height size at the top of the screen just under the icons, next to the padlock and see if it is the size you want. The size can be adjusted there. Closed padlock will keep the ratio or click open the padlock to adjust separately

I think i have it all set up right, but from what is on the screen and what engraver are two different things. Each letter is about 8 inches wide. Each letter should be less than an inch wide. My first engraving, I just can’t figure it out.

You are not showing the settings for this job, but I see you are starting the burn line and the burn fades out as the head moves away from the start of the burn, then fades in as the head slows, near the end of the line to reverse direction. This would mean the job is set to run faster than the burning can happen. The laser takes time to start moving and getting “to speed” (what you set for the layer cut speed in LightBurn), then back down to change direction.

Slow down. :slight_smile:

I can increase laser power and decrease the speed, the engraving is huge compared to the projected size on the burn field. Any ideas on that problem? Notice the burn spacing is also ridiculously wide. I have it set for 10 lines per mm as a starting point.

Not without some knowledge of current settings.

I am not trying to be difficult here, but you are making this harder than it has to be. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sorry I had to have surgery. I don’t understand exactly what you need. I’m very new to all of this, so dumb it down for me. I think this is what you were asking for.

I hope I’m getting this right. I do appreciate the help.

This looks like an older version of grbl that does not have support for laser control. What Device Profile are you using in LightBurn?

I was in the hospital for several days. I got to do some research. My steps per mm was way off. I changed the the setting after a few tries, I got it dialed in. Thank you so much for the help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.