This post originally appeared in LA Hobby Guy forum and was suggested I visit here for a solution –
I received my first laser Thursday - FoxAlien Reizer Mega [800x400mm] Only 30 minutes to build. Great!
After watching numerous videos on Thursday and Friday from LA HOBBY GUY - [great instructional videos BTW] I headed into the workshop and started my first engraving - a simple text centered on a coaster - did the burn and was impressed - tried a few other engravings and then went back inside to replay some videos to figure out other how to’s. That was then.
Now today was a different story. Went out and plugged in laptop, fired up Lightburn and turned on the Laser — Now we begin…
- I had to hold in the start button it was no longer a simple push to start button - [after only
1 day] - I can live with that, maybe
- The laser showed disconnected - I reset according to instructions, didn’t work - so I
turned laser off and back on - no luck -
— I then disconnected USB and plugged it into the other slot - no luck
— Quit and restarted Lightburn - ok that worked. Now let’s engrave.
- Picked an animal object from the library ART and added it to a coaster - set up some
settings and hit “Frame” that’s when I noticed the Frame was the same height as the text
Frame from day before. So I engraved and the object was ‘condensed’ to the height of
the previous text that I had engraved. Numerous “Frame” tests later, I deleted object and
decided to play around with the various setting of Lightburn and here is when it gets
- Went to the “MOVE” tab and selected X-800.00 and Y-400.00 [the settings of this laser]
hit go - Y stopped at 20cm and X stopped at 80cm according to rulers. Hey, that’s not
right for Y.
- Let’s try again - but this time X-800.00 and Y-800.00 same results. Oops! again
- So then I tried - X-800.00 Y-0.00 - Y went to 40cm [400mm] but X went to 800.00+ and
was banging the rail so I hit STOP.
- Ok let’s put in X-0.00 and Y-400.00 so Y stopped at 20cm [200mm] and X at 40cm
[400mm]. Gave up.
- Deleted Lightburn - reinstalled - cleared plist files - same results.
Long winded, but I like to do a bunch of troubleshooting before asking for help.
— So is it possible I have a bad controller. See #2 and #4-6.
— Is / are settings in Lightburn a source of the problem or am I the culprit. The MacAir is
on MacOS Monterrey if that is a problem for LB.
— Is there a GRBL setting to reset or would that cause havoc to the machine?
Disappointing to say the least and having to deal with a manufacturer that is 13 hrs ahead and takes 2 days to get answer is downright frustrating.
Anyone with an answer.