Newbie few questions

Hello im relatively new to lasering.

I purchased a ortur LM2.

Question is id like some setting guides.

To engrave Slate i tried once at 2100/70% it worked fine, second attempt different piece that i had cleaned with soap did barely a thing on it.

As for editing images in gimp should i be saving in black and white or colour as again i seam to be struggling on wood aswel to get the desired outcome.

Im aware its not a co2 machine but the Facebook ortur group are making very good things from this machine.

This makes no difference - LightBurn converts to black and white when you load an image.

Wood and slate behave a lot different, but both will require good focus. Images are a pain - they’re the hardest thing to get right, and every image will need different adjustments to get it to look right on the laser. You want the image to have good contrast and good range - As in, it shouldn’t all be grays, it should use the full range of black to white so the shading looks good on the material.

Don’t overdo the DPI - a common mistake is to assume higher DPI is better, and it’s not. Your laser will make a spot that is a single fixed size on a given piece of material, and if your DPI setting goes too high, it means the lines will overlap each other and you’ll ruin the shading.

Thank you i managed to do some slate work this evening, im just moving onto wood now. Birch ply 6mm, not sure what to run it at so its at 2800/70 hope thats enough its 1.45hr burn 300mmx200mm ill update.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.