Newly Downloaded Lightburn - Want to Setup From Other PC info

So I was trying to do this copy all of my settings from my one setup computer to my laptop that just freshly downloaded Lightburn. This is what I found in the forum/was going to try: "If you do a File/Open Prefs Folder, there is a prefs.ini file in that folder that contains all of the machine and window config in LightBurn. You can copy that to your other computer to duplicate the setup of LightBurn. Before you copy that file to the directory on the new computer, you will want to close LightBurn, as it writes over that file on close. " However, the new copy of Lightburn won’t let me open/even go to “file,” it says I have to set up a device FIRST, but I was hoping that I wasn’t going to have to do that again. (I actually plan to purchase more licenses and have LB installed on multiple computers. I can’t drag every one of them to the laser.) Anyone have an updated solution?

A few items to hit:

1. Your current license will likely support up to 2 computers. Only after that would you need to consider expanding.
  2. For prefs file I see 2 possible options
    2a. Create a dummy laser to get LB started. Doesn’t matter what since you’ll soon be getting rid of it. Choose “Create manually” when asked. Once done, do a File->Import Prefs
    2b. I think you may be able to navigate to the expected location of the prefs file before setting up LB and place the file there. Then start LB.

Just create a laser with any device. Doesn’t matter what type, just picks something. Then when you import your prefs from the other computer, all of that will be overwritten with the same config as your other computer.

On the original computer, click the ‘Devices’ button, then select your laser and click ‘Export’. Copy that file to the new computer, and use ‘Import’ to import that device information from the other machine.

LightBurn forces you to create a device because many features in the UI are tied to the kind of laser you’re using, and it needs a place to store a bunch of settings.

We got a lot of “this doesn’t work” and “I can’t find xx” emails only to discover that the user had never actually set up a laser, so LightBurn was not showing the options. This way, annoying though it might be, results in far less overall confusion.

Thank you! I was “scared” to export and import in fear of messing something up, but I DID wonder about it so I’ll do that now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.