Nightstand Caddy

Yesterday had a guy at work show me a picture of a nightstand organizer and asked what I could come up with.
After work I sat down to LB and 1 1/2 hours later, this was my first design, cut out and holding my daily stuff along with the wife’s watch, bracelet and ring.

6 Likes

Nice job! :slight_smile: I assume you scored points there!

1 Like

@Willyivy very nice! What type wood did you use? Kinda looks like Olive wood

Cheers

Sasquatch

Believe it or not, it is cheap utility plywood from Home Depot. Sometimes I will go through 100 sheets of their plywood to buy 4 or 5 sheets. But, I always restack the plywood back into the correct bin and often more neatly than I found it.

1 Like

@Willyivy it shows that you took the time to pick some nice material.One of the things that turns me off from procuring cheap plywood from Home Depot besides having to do their quality control is that the cheap plywood uses cheap glue that generates a ton of smoke. Then of course all the things associated with smoke, burn marks, soot on engraved/cut material which will require additional labor to reduce/eliminate and contamination of lens etc.

That being said your piece is very beautiful and Kudos to you for being an amazing artisan maker.

Cheers

Sasquatch

Yeah it takes a little extra time but again I get to choose the grain I want at the sacrifice of all said above. I use quite a bit of tape and a little sanding. Now and then a razor blade and a little clean up of an edge mainly due to what appears to be string between the layers. Also, one of the main reasons that I use it is because I purchase in full sheets and cut to the size needed. Too much waste and poor grains when I have ordered precut ply.

Spoken like a true woodsmith! If one works with wood then this is key.

Thanks for sharing your awesome work. I would love to see other projects you have done.

Cheers and have a GREAT WEEK!

Sasquatch

Check out some of the stuff I’ve done on my website. I really need to update it and add more stuff.
https://dadburnitlaser.com