No warning of unselected items if an item with output turned off is selected

On Linux 18.04
using Lightburn 0.9.19

While cutting and engraving name tags(fronts and backs), I have a number of Fill layers and was turning the outputs on/off for the different layers depending on the engraving I wanted(front/back/front1/back1/etc). With “Cut Selected Graphics” enabled if you have nothing selected and press the Start button you will get a warning indicating there are no selected graphics. But, if you select an item having the output turned off(Show turned on), it will not give a warning when you hit the Start button. It will still frame the selected item but that is probably the correct response.

I’m thinking it might be handy if it still warned when you did not have a item selected which had the output turned on no matter if something else is selected or not.

PS, I had cut selected graphics turned on because I could not get it to engrave each of the 4 groups(1 per name tag) one by one instead of scanning across all 4 at a time. And I did use Optimization Settings-Order by Group added to the list. What that did was it would outline the first group and then start scanning all of them again.

If you also have “Fill all shapes at once” that happens before the group ordering, and will override it. I’ll look at adding a warning. If the output is “nothing” it should always tell you.

1 Like

If you also have “Fill all shapes at once” that happens before the group ordering, and will override it.

Ah ha, that’s a setting in the layer. It never dawned on me to look there. It makes sense in hindsight but otherwise I was strictly looking in the optimization settings. Definately something to keep in mind since different layers can have different settings so knowing the layer options trump the Optimization Setting is good to know.

I’ll look at adding a warning. If the output is “nothing” it should always tell you.

great, thx.

I’ve considered making “Order by Group” also force things to drop back to “Fill groups together”, but I’d have to make sure it wasn’t permanent, and didn’t affect anything else negatively.

it’s tough when there can be many layers with different desired attributes yet there’s one global optimization setup. It does make sense that the setting at the layer level has precedence over the global optimizations. Best I can come up with is maybe a text note in the Optimizations settings dialog reminding users of the settings at the layer level.

I could make it ask - IE, if you enable ‘Order by Group’ but have ‘Fill all shapes at once’ and some filled shapes are in different groups, but it’s probably easier just to make it force the setting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.