Not seeing any burn (at all) from laser (S9)

I do try to solve my own problems before posting here since being 100% new at this hobby I am sure most of what is going wrong is user error. Having said that I am stumped. I followed a couple of youtube videos on doing a first project and I am not getting any burning at all. I have just attempted a text (line and fill) trial at different powers and speeds with no success. I did the focus procedure etc. I can see the small “orange” light and some flashing as well. Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

Outside of focus you really only have 2 controls: speed and power. To get more of a burn, either increase power or decrease speed. Keep doing this until a burn is achieved.

I’m going to guess you are using mm/s as units and comparing values that are set in mm/min. I suggest you change that in Settings menu if so.

I suggest you run a material test on whatever material you’re trying to burn to in order to get a better feel for how the material reacts to various speeds/power. Then you can choose the best settings for your particular scenario.

A third thing to check would be the dpi / line interval setting. Try 300 DPI / Line Interval 0.1

Maybe go through this first: Quick Start & Overview - Diode Laser Wiki There are quite some articles explaining all things to get you up and running with a Sculpfun laser.

Line interval of 0.10mm is 254 dpi

:smile_cat:

And to add my two cents: The S9’s native resolution is 0.08mm / 318 DPI :slight_smile:

Thanks all for the tips.