Offset-Fill Acrylic

Yes, I saw your original post, but did not notice that you also used fill - just amazing with the options it gives us.

Thank you very much for the tip, I will definitely try it.

This is an awesome tip and something I’m definitely going to test out. As for the laser stopping at the top, would it be an option to finish with a cut in Line mode at the same speed / power as the fill, but add a small overcut to remove the fin?

Thanks for your suggestion and interest, it might also be an option. I will just start with what Oz has mentioned and also look at your proposal as an alternative.

For a couple of years, I have used the normal fill for the same type of work (to create a void in material for counter sinking fasteners). I have even been successful in making inlay voids.

1 Like

I might be able to shift the start / end points of successive ‘rings’ so they’re in-line instead of introducing a sharp corner. If I do that, the laser would not need to stop to move to the next ring, and that would likely prevent this gap. It will take a little work to find good candidate points, but we already code like this in the main cut planner, so I should be able to just re-use that.

1 Like

Nice job! That’s proper lasering, right there!

I really want to start doing inlays. Too little time…

Is 90 ° countersink possible?
Layers from the outer circle to the inner circle.
Next outer circle to inner circle is a layer.
20 circles means 20 layers to engrave.

I do not really know if we are talking about the same thing, but if I make a submersion for a screw head I have used offset fill on a single separate layer. Speed and power must be defined so that the material does not melt but is “powdered”. With the number of passes you determine the depth itself, I mean I used 3-4 pass to evaporate the material to the bolt heads.

… and yes they are 90 degrees, very fine

What you describe is a counterbored hole.
What I mean is a countersunk hole.

grafik

It was lost in the translation, what I mean is counterbored hole. Countersunk hole we also have to play with, it will be interesting if it will be just as nice.

I never used ramp feature before. could this do the trick?

Just tried CounterSink - Yes, You can (I just did) :wink:
Needs a bit more tweaking but looks promising. It’s very hard for me to take a picture of the result. I will try to post some shortly. Might try Grayscale for better results but grayscale is tricky with Co2 lasers.

Maybe it works without picture.
Just set a ramp.

1 Like

Yes, Ramp should work but i never tried it before and I am not sure how my gcode controller will handle it. i made a small test and i do get the funnel shape but not as a perfect circle.

I just made a very nice countersink using ramp.
Bottom line is that this is doable.

1 Like

Very good.

I have made it with engraving twotimes and airpressure 1 bar.

Ramp is the half of diameter.
grafik

Result is not 90° :frowning:

For best results I used Cross-Hatch mode. for that you need to either lower the power or increase speed. quality looks much better in real than in a photo.

You can tweak your settings for better results.
I used ramp of 5 (which I’m guessing is equal to 50%) and playing with both length/power/speed you can, i want to believe, reach 90deg.