Optimized files from Corel

I’m laying out control panels and logos in Corel and exporting to run in LB. I spend time optimizing the curves and making the files as best I can overall.

When exporting to DXF and importing I find the objects get very complex with lots of nodes. A circle, for example, might have 200-300 nodes. I optimize this in LB and am able to reduce to 4 or 5 total.

To compare, I exported the same optimized Corel file in PDF format and it imported much better. Objects optimized in Corel were still optimized in LB.
When exporting to PDF I have a dialog box that allows me to turn off compression and also to select resolution based on color. Maybe these options are helping.

My question then: should I be using PDF rather than DXF?

Also, is there good reason to want the objects optimized? Will the finished results be better?

Thanks!

George

Most graphics programs like Corel, or Illustrator butcher DXF files on export. CAD programs like Fusion 360 do a much better job. I would stick with PDF or AI files for the export from Corel. They will always import in LightBurn better than a DXF from Corel

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks!

George

The format that DXF files use for representing splines is really complex, and not the native way most drawing software works. Programs like Corel, InkScape, and LightBurn use Bezier splines, which are pretty easy to work with, where AutoCad uses NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines) and the math is ugly.

Most stuff that exports curved objects to DXF doesn’t bother trying to deal with the math, and just does tiny line segments instead, which is why it comes in with so many nodes. AI, SVG, and PDF all store their curves as Bezier splines, which is why they come in so much cleaner.

1 Like

Excellent info, thanks. Just what my geeky brain wants to know.

I’ve always used Inventor for CAD, but am trying to transition to Fusion. I just can’t justify $5k for the Inventor license and my old version is wearing thin.

Either way, now I’ll know to export to PDF from Fusion. Or convert stuff in Corel.

Thanks!

George

Does the complexity amount to strain for LB? It’s a lot more data, but still nothing for any decent computer to process. Just curious if it could affect cutting and engraving.

George

Extra nodes don’t really impact the engraving or cutting side - everything is converted to small segments before sending to the laser, but for editing and navigating it’s a little faster to have fewer nodes. Things don’t really slow down until you get into several hundred thousand though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.