Ortur LM2 20W keeps resetting

I have had this laser for about 2 weeks. I love this thing. Just recently it cant seem to stay connected. It even shut down completely after about 20 minutes through a job. I am using a Lenovo Yoga 6 laptop running Windows 10. Lightburn 0.9.20. Here is the log. Am I missing something here. I really want to get this resolved. I was even thinking of picking up a 15W to double my production so I can start selling on Etsy

Waiting for connection…

Project loaded in 24 milliseconds

Waiting for connection…

Waiting for connection…

Waiting for connection…

ok

ok

[AUTHOR: RenShen]

[MODEL: Ortur Laser Master 2]

[OLF: 137]

[DATE:01:15:16 - Apr 20 2020]

[VER:1.1f.20170801:]

[OPT:VZD,35,254]

Target buffer size found

ok

Homing

ok

Starting stream

Layer C01

Connection lost

Stream completed in 16:47

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

error:8

Grbl ‘$’ command cannot be used unless Grbl is IDLE. Ensures smooth operation during a job.

Homing

Grbl ‘$’ command cannot be used unless Grbl is IDLE. Ensures smooth operation during a job.

Starting stream

Layer C01

Connection lost

Stream completed in 2:22

ok

ok

ok

ok

Homing

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Layer C01

Connection lost

Stream completed in 1:22

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Homing

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

Homing

ok

Starting stream

Layer C01

Layer C01

Layer C01

Layer C01

[MSG:Pgm End]

Stream completed in 29:18

Project loaded in 715 milliseconds

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:11

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:10

Starting stream

Starting stream

Starting stream

Layer C02

Job halted

Stream completed in 2:43

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ALARM:3

Reset while in motion. Grbl cannot guarantee position. Lost steps are likely. Re-homing is highly recommended.

Ortur Laser Master 2 Ready!

OLF 137.

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

ok

Starting stream

Stream completed in 0:11

Starting stream

Starting stream

Layer C02

[MSG:Pgm End]

Stream completed in 10:38

Starting stream

Layer C02

Connection lost

Stream completed in 2:13

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

Homing

ok

Starting stream

Layer C02

Connection lost

Stream completed in 2:06

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

Homing

ok

ok

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

Homing

ok

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

Homing

ok

Starting stream

Layer C02

Connection lost

Stream completed in 4:28

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

Homing

ok

Starting stream

Layer C02

Connection lost

Stream completed in 7:09

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Target buffer size found

ok

Homing

ok

SAME ISSUE HERE.
Does anyone have any information and advise on this problem?
Thanks!

First thing i would do is post an overview image of the machine
Then try this. unplug the laser head cable from the laser head
Run the very same project as is, but “dry”
In otherwords, it wont engrave anything of course

Does it give you the same errors?

You joined a thread that was over a year old. Please confirm your device information and firmware version level. This information should be visible in the Console window in LightBurn.

Thanks JohnJohn. Is this what you asked for?
[AUTHOR: ORTUR]
[OLF: 140]
[DATE:13:36:28 - Dec 31 2020]
[VER:1.1h.20190903:]
[OPT:VNZHI,99,254]
My problem continues to very frustrating. Today Lighburn stopped in mid-job with both images and text. Still no signs of interrupting on the Lightburn interface. Laser just stops and turns off. I’ve see others that have posted about the same problem.
Please let me know what you think?

Is the issue more likely to occur with images than lines? Also, have you applied the grounding fix or received and installed the grounding kit for your laser?

If the answer to the first question is yes, and you have not yet grounded your laser there’s a good chance this is due to static discharge resetting the USB port.

Check information about grounding here:
Ortur – Ortur Laser Master Grounding – Ortur

Also, it looks like you are on an extremely old version of the firmware. I suggest you update. Locate here:
Ortur – Firmware Repository – Ortur

This shouldn’t solve the disconnect issue but it addresses other shortcomings in the firmware.

1 Like

Thanks. My on-going problem does not seem related to lines or grounding.
I can burn comparable images and text…sudden STOP happens on one and not the orther.
In fact, on running tests to try find the gremlin… My laser will STOP mid-stream and an image…then burn thru to completion on the next try, same image…happens on text as well. Seems quite random. And my ORTUR LM2 is grounded. When my laser STOPS…when I click ‘go to origin’, my laser moves to origin just fine…so it doesn’t appear to be a USB connection issue. The problem appears to be a software issue. Thanks for any help you can provide!

This is most likely not the case or else this would be reproducible for everyone.

Can you try running the same jobs in LaserGRBL to see what kind of results you get? Even better, save gcode from LightBurn and run in LaserGRBL. If you get the same behavior then that’s a good indication that LightBurn is not involved.

Thanks PY.
I’ll try your suggestion…

This suggestion may be from left field…I was having a similar issue where my OLM2 Pro would just stop mid engrave, not every time, just enough to make it very frustrating. No errors, just stop. And it would happen at different points within the same file, 11%, 50%, 95%, I never knew if it would make it all the way through. In my case it turned out to be my anti-virus and firewall programs would randomly start up and the CPU usage would go to 100% and stay there long enough for USB communications to drop out. The progress bar continued to count, but the laser just stopped. I was able to find out what was happening because I had Task Manager up at the time and saw it go 100% CPU usage. There were a couple of programs that would cause this to happen and I delt with each one as it came up. Now I disable them when I’m running a job and I’ve been running problem free ever since. This is a long way of saying that you might want to monitor Task Manager (I assume that your computer has it) and see what kind of CPU activity is going on when your laser stops. Sorry for the long post, just my 2 cents worth.

2 Likes

PY & Paul: THANK YOU SO MUCH! And thank you to LIghtBurn for this invaluable forum.
Turns out my problem appears to have been hardware / my Dell laptop (w Windows 10). I switched to my HP laptop (w Windows 11) and have run several jobs without disruption. I have not found the gremlin in my Dell; which I used successfully with Lightburn for at least the past 2 years…but do not plan on running Lightburn output from it any longer. Thanks again!

1 Like