Ortur LM2 with lightburn

Job is framed and set up in lightburn. Laser is focused. Starts burn great. Then skips to new burn location. I have changed USB cord and power cord. After each cord change, works good for a couple burns then starts moving mid burn again.

Help

This looks like you’re missing steps rather than a communication issue. Check belt tension specifically along the direction of travel where you’re mistracking.

1 Like

I have taken belt off and put back on

Was it properly tensioned when you put back on? Did you do this for X and Y or just one?

Is the skipping happening along the X axis or Y axis?

What are your speed settings? Does the issue go away at slower speeds?

X axis
Did it before and after
Yea it’s tight

Yes pulled tight just on x
Does at different speeds

If you dramatically slow the movement… let’s say by 10x, do you still see the issue? Or does it only occur above a certain speed?

Can you upload your .lbrn file for review? I don’t think it’s necessarily related to the design but there may be something going on.

Try checking for other mechanical issues. It doesn’t seem like it would be the issue but check that the pinion on the stepper shaft is not loose. Does the laser head move freely to all corners of the machine?

Do you hear any sort of whining from the motor when this occurs? Is there anything that you observe when the skip actually occurs?

Are there any Console message?

Starting stream

Layer C00

Job halted

Stream completed in 0:17

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ALARM:3

Reset while in motion. Grbl cannot guarantee position. Lost steps are likely. Re-homing is highly recommended.

Ortur Laser Master 2 Ready!

OLF 137.

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

ok

Starting stream

Layer C00

Job halted

Stream completed in 1:09:37

ALARM:3

Reset while in motion. Grbl cannot guarantee position. Lost steps are likely. Re-homing is highly recommended.

ok

Ortur Laser Master 2 Ready!

OLF 137.

Grbl 1.1f [’$’ for help]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

ok

ok

That is the console message I just received. It has worked great after the last email until yesterday.
I made sure the constant power option was on and it has worked until yesterday.
I have tightened the belts several times. Everything seems tight.

I think maybe I have worn this laser out.

If that is the case - do you suggest another laser?

$$

$0=3

$1=25

$2=0

$3=0

$4=0

$5=0

$6=0

$10=3

$11=0.050

$12=0.002

$13=0

$20=1

$21=1

$22=1

$23=7

$24=600.000

$25=3000.000

$26=100

$27=3.000

$30=1000

$31=0

$32=1

$33=250.000

$100=80.000

$101=80.000

$102=80.000

$110=9000.000

$111=9000.000

$112=1200.000

$120=2200.000

$121=1800.000

$122=2500.000

$130=400.000

$131=430.000

$132=1.000

ok

Is there a particular reason you’re using constant power mode? Normally this would result in less even burns.

Did you also check that the pinions on the stepper motor shaft are properly secured?

I really don’t think the symptoms are a result of wear and tear. There’s something more specific causing this… and again, seems likely mechanical. I really suggest a thorough mechanical review. Specifically anything that would result in missing steps. That would come down to belts, pinions, stepper motors. I would focus on the first 2 as stepper motors generally do not go bad unless repeatedly abused.

This would really come down to your needs. I suggest if you do think about a replacement you should reevaluate your current needs especially given your experience with the current laser. Have your needs evolved or are they well satisfied with your current solution.

I have replaced the laser, stepper motor and belt pulley. I have adjusted the belts and still it snags.
I am going to think about replacing this Ortur with another machine.
Opinions: CNC or laser? I really want to have laser engraving and router cutting on boards.