Ortur lm3-20a inlay

I have an Ortur LM3-20A laser and am trying to do a few inlays.The inlay material (positive) is about 3/32" thick and I would like it to go about 1/2 way into the (negative) “hole” that’s cut into the face of my project.
Is there any way to predetermine how deep the laser will cut/fill into the face of the project and a given speed and power.
I know the settings will be different depending on what type of wood I’m working with but am looking for a ballpark figure so as to not burn up the project.
I only have one very small piece of scrap wood of the same species so I can’t really do any tests on it.
Thanks,
Tom

I have the LM3 with the older 10Watt head.
I go about 2mm deep into cherry at 10mm/s, 40% so if your wood is similar to cherry, you should be able to do the same with 1/2 the power for 2 mm, 1/4 for 1 mm (~3/64") . Of course the relation is not linear.

3/64" isn’t much depth so I’d start off with even lower power and just do a run, check (without moving the piece), then repeat until depth is reached.

Do you know what species the wood is?

Thanks.
Yes it’s Cherry and my experience with Cherry with my older 5 w laser was that it burned fairly easily.This laser is a 20 w and I’m burning everything trying to get used to the power.
Thanks for tje suggestions.I’m very surprised to see that you go that slow with 40% power even with a 10 w laser.I “think” I have to go a bit faster even at 20% power? Maybe 1000 mm/m?
I guess the only way for me to do this is to just do it.
Thanks again,
Tom

Try the attached file.
Thomas_th.lbrn2 (86.7 KB)

It will burn!

If you run at 20% versus my 40%, you’ll likely go too deep. My 40% will cut down about 5/64 which is almost your full (3/32") thickness.

I use air assist of about 12L/m which helps keep the path clear. I also recommend covering the wood with a single layer of masking tape (blue or regular) which helps keep any stray embers from causing burns.

I engrave a lot of different woods (for epoxy fills) and the depth difference between soft and hard is about 2:1 (cherry to Jatoba)

It took me a while to get to this as it’s been crazy here lately.
Thanks for the file and it came out outstanding.
If now,I could do that myself!

A thousand apologies. It was an inadmissible mistake on my part. I sent a file that wasn’t the final one and that has a shift in two outer shapes.
Correct file Thomas_fn.lbrn2 (88.0 KB)