Possible code questions

Mac with universalengraver 3 watt and BenBox Firmware.
I will have a Windows machine at my disposal later this week. I would prefer to run the engraver with my Mac but I don’t wish to go the VM route. I am assuming that I will have to run the engraver with Ben
Box. Why doesn’t the LightBurn software not run anything from outside the native files in this instance?
The image below was brought inside from my collection

I have this image to engrave:

When I look at the line of code I see straight lines being cut. The problem? The image the engraver cuts has no part of the image I wish to be visible, on the straight lines cut to the outside dimensions of the image. The following code is just a snippet.
; LightBurn 0.9.16
; GRBL-M3 (1.1e or earlier) device profile, absolute coords
; Bounds: X209.61 Y20.13 to X378.71 Y189.13
G00 G17 G40 G21 G54
G90
; Image @ 100 mm/sec, 20% power
M8
M5
G0X211.61Y20.13
; Layer C00
G91
M3
G1X0.1F6000S51
G1X0.2S0
G1X0.1S51
G1X0.2S0
G1X0.1S51
G1X0.2S0
G1X0.1S51
G1X0.2S0

I understand the G-Code language, that isn’t my problem. Why or what have I missed in the program that enables the laser to see the image and cut the black areas as normal?

I’m afraid I didn’t understand this question as you’ve worded it. Are you asking why we don’t support BenBox?

The S parameter controls the power of the laser, so those lines are moving and toggling the laser off and on, according to shading in the original image. If you look at the preview you can see this:

(This is zoomed way in on the upper-left corner, and the red lines are the moves from one dot to the next with the laser off)

I said nothing about BenBox in this question
Question: why doesn’t LightBurn see the image

Please allow me to clarify:
When I draw or type anything/image into the lightburn Palette, BenBox and Light Burn are obviously communicating with one another since I get a perfect “Burn”. BUT! When I insert an image for instance into the LightBurn Palette from my computer, LightBurn and BenBox appear to not be communicating.

I would like to know why they cannot communicate when I have the image from my computer placed in the LightBurn Palette.

Is the function of “Start” Button the same as “Send” Button in LightBurn? I don’t have a “Send” button and cannot find one. Where is the Send Button?

How do I stop the trace lines that cut when laser is moving from one portion of object to another?

That’s an easy one: Laser not turning off between cuts?

Your laser won’t give you a ‘Send’ option because it doesn’t have the ability to host files in the controller. The options you see in LightBurn will vary a bit based on the hardware you have.

I’m not sure why engraving an image for you doesn’t work, but images and photos generate much more code than text or simple shapes, and will stress the communication more. Your machine is using firmware that we don’t support and have never tested with, so you’re likely to encounter problems.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.