Power levels do not seem to be working as expected on OMTECH with Ruida controller and text in line mode

I have a test pattern model that uses different layers for different speeds and power levels. It does not seem to have the desired result.
This design can be accessed at:

In lightburn it looks like:

The burn should be darker at the top left and lighter at the lower right. It does not look that way. The 80% column burns look the same, all the 60% look the same… it appears the speed settings do nothing.

This simplified version of another test pattern work but it uses shape properties to change the power level (so speed must be doing something):

What am I missing here?
The model works fine on my Grbl machine at home.

Thanks for your insight.

The Ruida, along with grbl will limit your speed to whatever the controller is set for. I don’t know about yours, but mine was in the 500mm/s area so it would not run any faster than that.

Are you running mm/s?

If you’re doing ‘line’ work with text that is only 5mm tall at 600/700mm/s. I’d say there is little to no chance it can get to that speed in such a short distance…

Most of these use the ‘fill’ option to get a ‘block’ of area to determine the results… Fill will ensure the machine is up to speed before firing the laser.

A photo of the results would be very nice…

Is there some reason you didn’t use the materials test under the laser tools tab?

I couldn’t download the file you posted, so couldn’t examine it. It showed up as ‘fail’ when I attempted to download it…

You can ‘drag and drop’ some files on the reply window, such as your .lbrn2 file, and the site will upload them. It will complain if you try to drop unapproved file types or it the file size is over 4mB. I add a ‘.txt’ extension to pdf files so I can post them.

:smile_cat:

I was able to get control so I could see a difference, but I had to set the power level down to 10% I was then able to see a difference in burning between 10-60 mm/sec on a text outline burn. Beyond 60, it was the same.

I moved it up to 20% and the difference stayed at 60mm/sec. It seems like there is a limiting factor on my velocity, I have the velocity set of the X and Y in the device settings at 1000 mm/sec (Granted that is a bit fast). I have a similar setting in the advanced settings of Lightburn.

Something is still going wrong here, since I should be able to go much faster - I would have thought.

We often apply units of mm/minute to diode based laser engravers.

The considerably lower power requires a lot less speed to get control of the gradient. It’s easy to overlook the change in the units. I didn’t see the units until nearly the end of the thread.

Do you have a mA meter on the machine to see any changes in power levels?

There isn’t much that can do this, that I can think of on a Ruida.

This is a CO2 laser. I will be doing several tests to demonstration the issue later today and will include pictures, as well as settings.

1 Like

yesterday I delved into the undocumented Ruida settings that I can find in Lightburn and will be documenting what I can determine about what is going on.

Which do you refer?

Most of these entries can be found in the documentation available for your controller. It’s sometimes (mostly) difficult to understand, but it’s there to so you can ‘attempt’ to understand it.

I, like most pulled down your ‘profile’ (click on the name) it doesn’t say Ruida, so most of us don’t think Ruida… Might want to add that to your profile.

@johnjohn answer indicates his thoughts of it being grbl.

Which model do you have?

I am fortunate enough to have access to a OMTech laser at the woodshop I have access to and the Rudia controller has a sticker on it that says it is a RDC6442B-B(EC).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.